The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch replacement advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford is replacing my transmission but do to wear and tear will not cover the clutch. It does appear that I need a clutch despite only 26k miles on a street car. So I am looking at either the mcleod ext or super street pro. If the car is going to remain normally aspirated will the super street pro do the job? Or is it good to go twin disk regardless? For either applications would you recommend a flywheel and steel braided lines? I have to make a quick decision so all opinions are appreciated. Thanks

No matter which route you go, I'd start with a new flywheel. I like the lightened steel mcleod unit.

Berol said:
No matter which route you go, I'd start with a new flywheel. I like the lightened steel mcleod unit.
I agree. I'm not familiar with all the different clutches McLeod or anyone else offers but the McLeod RST might be a good choice. Many members are using it with good success. If you go with the twin discs setup remove the helper spring from the pedal assembly. I don't think the SS clutch line does much and it's mainly designed for use with headers. Frankly if you're not tracking your car or installing headers I'd pass.

You should have the slave/TOB replaced too. It's about $120 and there have been enough failures to pay for it yourself if you can't get your dealer to pay for it under warranty. There should be no additional labor to install it.

@ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I agree on skipping the clutch line, but do install a fresh TOB like VDB mentioned.

The stock flywheel can be used with the McLeod twins but I'd not recommend it even after resurfacing, the flywheel mating surface for the clutch only makes contact with 75% of the Mcleod disc area.

I would go with their lightened steel option (or even a non-lightened, if that is an option) for a street car. This will help prevent the car from bucking while cruising at constant speeds, and will be a little easier to get moving in first gear.

If you don't track your car, the RST will be better for street use. The clutch material is organic and can be slipped easier than the RXT, which is a little more "grabby". I track my car with the RST and have no problems.

Just be aware of the characteristics twin disks have before jumping on them (e.g. chatter around 2krpm, light pedal- hence the pedal spring removal recommendation).

Also, definitely get the McLeod flywheel with their clutches, due to different clutch disk size and contact area.

Ok. I think I know my options. Does everyone agree to pass on steel braided line replacement? Otherwise I will choose RST with flywheel and other replacement parts noted above.

What other transmissions is the RST compatible with if I choose to upgrade later?

The braided clutch line is about $60.... so might as well throw it in! ;D

Make sure you google and understand, and accept, the RST clutch chatter around 1700rpm. I didn't learn about it until I heard it from behind the steering wheel.... quite loud and annoying! I had to change my driving style (e.g., shifting into 2nd gear - instead of 3rd gear - over a speed hump in my neighborhood). Still glad I got the RST, though.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I went the cheaper Spec 1 clutch route and so far like the results very much. With clutch spring out and light flywheel its still very easy to drive. For about 700 bucks with Flywheel and clutch is a great deal.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Mad Hatter said:
I went the cheaper Spec 1 clutch route and so far like the results very much. With clutch spring out and light flywheel its still very easy to drive. For about 700 bucks with Flywheel and clutch is a great deal.

Same here with the SPEC 2+ but still breaking it in. No chatter but it does take an extra Wheatie in the cearal bowl each morning as the pedal feels a bit stiffer.

TMO Supporting Vendors