The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch replacement and sct x' crank relearn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi
i repalce stock clutch by exedy stage 3 with new flywheel last week.
I was expecting to made the crank relearn with the sct tool but nothing appears on the dash...
Does someone faced same situation??
Is that possible?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Hi
i repalce stock clutch by exedy stage 3 with new flywheel last week.
I was expecting to made the crank relearn with the sct tool but nothing appears on the dash...
Does someone faced same situation??
Is that possible?
Copied this from the Bama Performance support page:

Crank Relearn

The Crank Relearn or Crank Position Relearn is not something that needs to be done too often and is more common for Manual Transmission Vehicles. On the 2011+ Mustangs you will need to use this function if you have replaced the clutch on a manual or for automatics if the trans has been removed for service. We have also seen occurrences on the 2015+ Mustangs where this is needed after loading a tune file. Lets go over the steps for doing this.

1. Go into the Vehicle Functions option.

2. Then select Special Functions and you will be prompted to turn the key on and continue.

3. From here select the option for Crank Relearn.

4. You will get a Notice about doing this procedure after certain engine repairs, select Continue.

5. Then follow the steps, Step 1 - Make sure no DTC's are present, if non continue. If there are DTC's you would need to clear them first (Clear DTC's).

6. Step 2 - Return rev limiters to stock. This is not always the case and you can Continue.

7. Step 3 - Start and Idle Engine. Keep the car in neutral and let the engine get to operating temp.

8. Step 4 - Make sure all accessories like A/C, Defroster are turned off.

You may get away without doing the relearn. I was fine.....until I went into limp mode on the back straight at VIR. That will get your heart racing in traffic.
Go ahead and do the process if you have the tool.

OK, I have the tool, I will made it as soon as I can access the car. We are confined in our houses so no access to the car yet but hope this will end in te next weeks.
Thanks

Copied this from the Bama Performance support page:

Crank Relearn

The Crank Relearn or Crank Position Relearn is not something that needs to be done too often and is more common for Manual Transmission Vehicles. On the 2011+ Mustangs you will need to use this function if you have replaced the clutch on a manual or for automatics if the trans has been removed for service. We have also seen occurrences on the 2015+ Mustangs where this is needed after loading a tune file. Lets go over the steps for doing this.

1. Go into the Vehicle Functions option.

2. Then select Special Functions and you will be prompted to turn the key on and continue.

3. From here select the option for Crank Relearn.

4. You will get a Notice about doing this procedure after certain engine repairs, select Continue.

5. Then follow the steps, Step 1 - Make sure no DTC's are present, if non continue. If there are DTC's you would need to clear them first (Clear DTC's).

6. Step 2 - Return rev limiters to stock. This is not always the case and you can Continue.

7. Step 3 - Start and Idle Engine. Keep the car in neutral and let the engine get to operating temp.

8. Step 4 - Make sure all accessories like A/C, Defroster are turned off.

Thanks really useful
Chris

Hi guys,
Crank relearn made successfully, thank you for your inputs, was useful.
Next weekend I will install LMR belt pre tensioner.

I’m replacing my clutch, flywheel, and doing the CobraJet pulse ring as well.

1) are there any things to look out for to make the install / crank relearn procedure go smooth with the addition of the CJ pulse ring?

2) will this crank relearn affect in anyway my existing tune( my rev limiter is set now to 8k and would like to keep things as is) ?

3) Do the BAMA instructions posted above apply to using the sct4 tuner

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I’m replacing my clutch, flywheel, and doing the CobraJet pulse ring as well.

1) are there any things to look out for to make the install / crank relearn procedure go smooth with the addition of the CJ pulse ring?

2) will this crank relearn affect in anyway my existing tune( my rev limiter is set now to 8k and would like to keep things as is) ?

3) Do the BAMA instructions posted above apply to using the sct4 tuner

Yes, the instructions above are for the SCT4. The crank relearn won’t affect your existing tune - you should be able to leave your rev limiter where it’s set and just follow the instructions on the screen. There’s nothing different about the install of the CJ pulse ring - they’re indexed to only fit one way. Just make sure its completely flush with the crank flange. Take a close look at the position of the stock pulse ring as you remove it and you’ll be able to tell where the CJ ring needs to be for a proper fit.

Ditto on will not affect your tune, and i had issues with misfires all the time prior to the CJ pulse ring. After upgrading to pulse ring no more misfires. Just replaced clutch and borrowed a buddies SCT X4 as I only have the X3 and was able to do the relearn. Just be patient and wait for the motor to reach the minimum temp and rev above 4,000 rpm I believe and you are all set.

Ty for all the help. I will prob be working on this project next week. Fingers crossed. I thought I vaguely remember a while back that the CJ pulse ring created some issues/threw some codes for some guys on another forum...but I could be mistaken.

please help!
sooo..I have the clutch in and following the crank relearn steps on the sct 4..im at the point where it says "reset limiters to factory settings" and it wont let me continue unless I hit ok..my aftermarket tune has the rev limit like I mentioned set to 8k. I know I asked but just doublechecking..if I click ok to set limits to stock will I retain my 8k limit or will it go back to 8k after the relearn is complete or am I missing something here?

ty!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
That message is a reminder only. If you hit OK and continue, the program will move forward with the process but will not reset your rev limit.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Here’s a link to the break-in instructions that came with a clutch from Modern Driveline. There’s a couple test procedures described as well. I didn’t have the nerve to try the stall test, but may be an option if you don’t have access to a road that would allow the rolling test without drawing attention from law enforcement.

https://www.moderndriveline.com/clutch-installation-break-in-instructions/

TMO Supporting Vendors