The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Replacement Cost (Labor)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Hey guys I'm about to drop $900+ on a RXT Clutch.
Is this job too involved for a car on Jack stands in my Garage, I'm figuring it is. So I'm trying to get idea what I might be dishing out for the Labor.
The guys at RXT also recommend that I get flywheel balanced with clutch assembly.

My guess is around $500. The RXT/RST does not match up perfectly with the stock flywheel. Since you're drag racing your car often I recommend you get a matching flywheel. While you're in there add another $100 for the competition pulse ring. I love spending OPM. ;D

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
NFS, you think jobs is too difficult or time consuming and I'd be better off paying a shop?

I'll second our esteemed moderator's recommendation..

If you're going to open her up, might as well throw in the Ford Racing Pulse Ring.

VTBoss302

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
VTBoss302 said:
I'll second our esteemed moderator's recommendation..

If you're going to open her up, might as well throw in the Ford Racing Pulse Ring.

VTBoss302

I third that motion...I've got a pulse ring inbound just for that occasion. Hopefully then I won't get the dreaded P0300, P0304 codes after that.

Wayne

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I swapped my clutch myself. its really no worse then doing any other mustang. you will need some clearance to get the trans out from under the car or at least off to the side.

you do have to remove the cats!! no way around it believe me I tried. soak those nuts/bolts prior to removal or you might snap one off like I did. PB blaster works well.

you will need a 23T alignment tool for the discs. I bought one at a oriely's its marked for a chyrsler I believe but works great for the 11+ mustangs as well.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Clutch Replacement Cost (Labor)

Justin said:
I swapped my clutch myself. its really no worse then doing any other mustang. you will need some clearance to get the trans out from under the car or at least off to the side.

you do have to remove the cats!! no way around it believe me I tried. soak those nuts/bolts prior to removal or you might snap one off like I did. PB blaster works well.

you will need a 23T alignment tool for the discs. I bought one at a oriely's its marked for a chyrsler I believe but works great for the 11+ mustangs as well.
Is it tough enough that if I can get it replaced for $400.00, I should let them do it?
And do I have to go to dealer to have them reset the crank sensor?

Justin

unrealford said:
Is it tough enough that if I can get it replaced for $400.00, I should let them do it?
And do I have to go to dealer to have them reset the crank sensor?
it wasn't bad enough for me to spend 400 paying someone else to do but then again I don't like to pay anyone to work on my car. It took me even with trying to get it out with the cats in place six hours.

I didn't swap the crank trigger wheel so no relearn required for me. Sorry I am no help with that. Is it not something that can be done without a dealer?

When you replace the pulse ring you'll need to replace the flywheel bolts as they are not reusable, there are eight. I'm not sure if the pulse ring is any better but as already mentioned it's more accurate at higher RPM's. I'm not sure if this is related but I typically threw the random misfire codes at the track and after three track days I have not thrown a code. I believe the pulse ring only goes on one way, either by design or you'll need to note how the stock one is mounted and mount the new one the same way. You should be able to start it up and drive to the dealer and have them perform the relearn. You should double check what I just wrote as I'm not positive. I think Drew, ArizonaGT, will know the answer on this. Drop him a PM and ask him to respond if he doesn't see this first.

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
When you replace the pulse ring you'll need to replace the flywheel bolts as they are not reusable, there are eight. I'm not sure if the pulse ring is any better but as already mentioned it's more accurate at higher RPM's. I'm not sure if this is related but I typically threw the random misfire codes at the track and after three track days I have not thrown a code. I believe the pulse ring only goes on one way, either by design or you'll need to note how the stock one is mounted and mount the new one the same way. You should be able to start it up and drive to the dealer and have them perform the relearn. You should double check what I just wrote as I'm not positive. I think Drew, ArizonaGT, will know the answer on this. Drop him a PM and ask him to respond if he doesn't see this first.
my centerforce kit came with new arp hardware for everything which was very nice

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Get the new flywheel bolts from FRPP, they are the same as the 4.6L ones.
Get the CJ Pulse ring installed at the same time. Yes, it only goes on one way.
Get a new crank position sensor as well, $35 from Tousley just in case you find anything weird like I did (mine was dented!)
Get a new slave cylinder and install it at the same time.

It is POSSIBLE to do this swap in your driveway on jackstands, but I wouldn't recommend it. You would have to be a bodybuilder to benchpress the trans in and get the input shaft aligned on your own. Find a friend with a lift and the job should take you 4-6 hours depending on experience and motivation. It's not difficult work but there is a lot of awkward, heavy lifting involved. Having a tall transmission jack is also highly recommended.

Also soak your header-to-cat connection bolts in PB Blaster for a few hours while the car cools down. Mine were a real PITA to remove.

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
Get a new crank position sensor as well, $35 from Tousley just in case you find anything weird like I did (mine was dented!)

It is POSSIBLE to do this swap in your driveway on jackstands, but I wouldn't recommend it. You would have to be a bodybuilder to benchpress the trans in and get the input shaft aligned on your own. Find a friend with a lift and the job should take you 4-6 hours depending on experience and motivation. It's not difficult work but there is a lot of awkward, heavy lifting involved. Having a tall transmission jack is also highly recommended.

Also soak your header-to-cat connection bolts in PB Blaster for a few hours while the car cools down. Mine were a real PITA to remove.
harbor freight sells cheap transmission jacks so you can do it on your back. I did mine on a lift at the hobby shop on base.

Did you have to get the relearn done at ford?

Justin

steveespo said:
When they do the relearn I am assuming they don't need to reflash the ECU. I have a tune of course and reverting to stock is really involved :'(. Anyone with first hand knowledge of the procedure.
Thanks
Steve
+1

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

ArizonaGT said:

Isn't new slave Cylinder, pulse ring, crank sensor, all that a overkill? Do I get new clutch pedals too? :eek: IM trying to keep this affordable, I barely can afford the install. LOL

TMO Supporting Vendors