The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Replacement - Labor cost from dealer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
While I was getting my oil changed recently, I walked over and talked to the Service Manager about clutch replacement. I mentioned the weak points of the OEM clutch and asked if they would install an aftermarket one if I provide it. He said yes and began looking up labor cost. With me having bad service experience in the past with other dealerships, I recognize this Ford dealership is good. Service (mechanical and customer) is always good. There's one tech that works on my car and he appears to be observant, thorough and competent.

The SM was clearly having trouble with the quote, as if the computer was forcing him to piece together many small jobs (incorrectly, at that). This is why I'm thinking (hoping) his estimate was off. That, and the $2200 labor (only) estimate. :eek:

If any of you guys got the full clutch replacement (and clutch relearn) done at the dealership, I'd love to know what the labor cost (or hours, if warranty) were for the job.

The Boss is my first car that I've taken to the dealer for EVERY service (aside from tires and gas). I specifically want them being the only ones to service it, in the event of issues. If they sucked, that wouldn't be the case. I'd like them t do the clutch labor, but not really at that amount. :p Like I said, the SM was clearly having a time of getting that figure and looked a little surprised himself. I'd like to give him another go at the estimate, armed with more time and some average labor costs for the job.

Or am I simply outdated with my labor-cost assumption? I was thinking about $1200 would cover the labor and I was preparing for a little over $1500 for higher dealership labor-rates. I some small shop in town will do it for less. If the dealership will as well, I'd prefer that route.

Thanks for your help.

Propilot

Support your local MS Society Chapter
The labor time guide shows 4.8 hours to replace the clutch+ 0.2 for removal of the flywheel for resurfacing. Multiply this time (5.0 hrs) by the dealer's labor rate to get your total cost in labor. Based on this their quote seems way off.

Propilot said:
The labor time guide shows 4.8 hours to replace the clutch+ 0.2 for removal of the flywheel for resurfacing. Multiply this time (5.0 hrs) by the dealer's labor rate to get your total cost in labor. Based on this their quote seems way off.

Since I've done the job, my first reaction was "no way I could do it in 5 hours." But, I remembered how long I fought this boogered nut and maybe I could with the right tools and no problems. Labor rate times 5 sounds like a good deal.

025_zps8778c771.jpg

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
Thanks, fellas. I know their labor rate is probably high. Sounds like he was piecing together too many hours from individual jobs. I thought I was being generous in my original thought of 6 hours, at about $600-900 depending on hourly labor rate. Even figured in another couple hundred for unexpected issues. ::) I'll give it another try when I'm actually ready to do it.

Thanks again for the feedback. The average labor-hours required helps tremendously.

TMO Supporting Vendors