The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Replacement Options for "U" Code 302's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have been looking at Clutch kit options for my Boss 302. I love the way my Boss now shifts with my MGW Race Spec v1, shifter, but now I want to go after that gear Nipple that I sometimes get. As far as shift gate accuracy, my new set-up is flawless and drops into every gear, each and every time, I no longer have to grab my shift ball, I just guide it through the gears.

I have no lockout issues up or down regardless of the RPM's, but now I want to replace the clutch to help protect my MT-82. OBTW, I do like my MT-82 and I am of the opinion that Ford really did a nice job on the gear ratio selection.

For some reason, I was always partial to SPEC clutch kits, perhaps it was the color, (LOL). Doing some research on SPEC, I found a 2012 Magazine article that praised a new SPEC dual clutch install on a modded 12 GT owned by Cunningham Motorsports. Well that was 3 years ago, so I wondered, how does the owner like this clutch after 3 years? I went to the owners website and found my answer. He apparently didn't as his Mod list for the same S197 Mustang now lists a different clutch.

Next I thought about SFI Certification, and I did not see SPEC listed as a certified manufacture of multi clutches.

I looked at RAM as they are SFI Certified, but for some reason, I didn't get the warm and fuzzy feeling about RAM, and their multi clutch kits primarily use an aluminum flywheel. Maybe more clutch than I need? The RAM 9.5" multi disc clutch does look nice and it is rebuildable. That is a nice feature.

The more I looked at McLeod, the more I liked what I saw. But, I'm a little confused after spending time on the McLeod Racing website. When I list my car, only the RXT multi clutch appears. No part number for the RST, which is what I thought might be a good selection for me. Next is that McLeod encourages the use of the OEM flywheel even though the center hub is too large and the new inner disc will not make full contact with the OEM flywheel. I believe a new clutch, needs a new flywheel that provides full plate contact, so I'll purchase a new lightened steel flywheel with my clutch kit.

I also read a statement online that McLeod invented the street application multi clutch design back 1974, so they have been in business a long time.

McLeod is unique in their design that uses a mounting plate that bolts to the flywheel, then the pressure plate mounts on studs attached to the adaptor plate. I guess when used with a new McLeod flywheel, this eliminates the need to shim the primary disc?

I also like the 3 Strap design of the floater plate which is supposed to reduce if not eliminate the floater plate rattle on take of in street driving. This feature is found on both the RAM and McLeod, I like this design v. the Post design.

As for the Flywheel, I will purchase the lightened Steel Flywheel as I have a street application with occasional track use. I understand the heavier weight of the steel flywheel is better for street driving and also helps to smooth out start offs.

Last are a few questions for those of you who are running a McLeod RST or RXT replacement clutch kits.

Noting the difference between the RST and RXT is the Disc material, Organic, v. Metallic. Uses same clamp pressure, Pressure Plate.

Do you like the clutch operation on the street? Any rattle or chatter on start offs?

Do you need the RXT metallic face disc? Or would you have gone with the RST?

If you run the Organic RST, does it hold up to an occasional track use?

Thank you in advance for you help.
All the Best,
Dave

Wow that's a long one. Here's my take on this but keep in mind I have very little experience with aftermarket clutches.

I grew up in SoCal and McLeod has an excellent reputation there. When I called them to ask a few questions they were all over it and were aware of the issues on the GT and Boss cars at high RPM's. They explained why we were having issues and how their clutch design was better and would eliminate the high RPM lockout. I have not had any lockout since installing their clutch over two years ago and have missed maybe three shifts on track and I'll take credit for those. I'd give them a call and talk to them about options. They will push you to the RXT but if you're not doing many track days I'd go RST. For heavy track use go RXT.

Black Boss is having issues with his RXT clutch so pay close attention to that. I recently had my trans out and the dealer thought my clutch looked worn. It has 11,000 miles and about 15 track days on it. I stopped by and snapped some photos of it and emailed the photos to McLeod. I got a fast response that said the clutch was fine and to continue to use it. They had the opportunity to sell me replacement discs but didn't.

I do get a bit of chatter with my RXT if I'm not smooth with the clutch and throttle from a dead stop. No other noises other than that. You should use their flywheel with their clutch as the RXT and RST do not mate with the stock flywheel. Yes it will work but do it right and don't look back. Buy their kit and you'll be good.

BTW ArizonaBoss recommends replacing the Slave/TOB every year with heavy track use and I also suggest you replace it while your trans is out. I replaced mine at 10,000 when I had my McLeod clutch installed and had it replaced again with my latest go around at about 21,000 miles. It's not worth a $170 part ruining your track day.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I installed the RST, organic discs a month ago.

4 track days without issue.

Shifting is effortless, not just for the operator, for the trans.

With the stock clutch higher RPM took more effort. I assume this was because the syncros struggled with the heavier stock clutch.

Recommend the McLeod.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Rick:

I appreciate your comments and experiences with your McLeod RXT clutch. I totally agree that one should replace the flywheel with one specifically designed for the new multi-disc clutch kit.

Another factor that leads me to the use of a dual disc setup is the light action of the pressure plate. Conversely, using a leg buster high clamp force single disc pressure plate can place excessive force on the engine crankshaft thrust bearing.

Thanks for the review comments on the RXT driveability manners.

Dave
2HP

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am about to get a upgraded clutch as well. Was thinking of a Spec 1 single stage. I suppose it would be wise to get a aluminum flywheel at the same time? Not sure how they do with the stock flywheel. Also changong the pulse ring and thoughout bearing.

Would it be right to say that the single stage has less rotational mass?

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
TMSBOSS said:
I installed the RST, organic discs a month ago.

4 track days without issue.

Shifting is effortless, not just for the operator, for the trans.

With the stock clutch higher RPM took more effort. I assume this was because the syncros struggled with the heavier stock clutch.

Recommend the McLeod.

I hear you Sir! Thank you for your recommendation as I value your opinion too.

Also, I think your MT-82 struggling synchronizes assumption is valid as I'm beginning to think my OEM clutch struggles to release fully, and is the reason i mentioned: "I want to replace the clutch to help protect my MT-82" in the OP.

Thanks again,
Dave
2HP

BigTaco said:
Any reason Exedy is not taken into consideration?
I have an ET04XD that I've been running for two track seasons. It has held up great with absolutely no slipping, but it's a challenge to start in 1st gear with finesse on the street :D

BigTaco said:
Is it hard to slip (the Exedy) smoothly or does it rattle?
It's designed for high hp so it's a bit like a lightswitch from a stopped position. It just takes a little higher revs and a slow steady release to get going smoothly. If you try to start quick it can be akin to a drag launch ;) It will rattle a little in reverse if you don't give it enough revs, but haven't had it happen in first.

My #1 concern was that it held up to high RPM road course duty and in that category it's been flawless.

NFSBOSS said:
Wow that's a long one. Here's my take on this but keep in mind I have very little experience with aftermarket clutches.

I grew up in SoCal and McLeod has an excellent reputation there. When I called them to ask a few questions they were all over it and were aware of the issues on the GT and Boss cars at high RPM's. They explained why we were having issues and how their clutch design was better and would eliminate the high RPM lockout. I have not had any lockout since installing their clutch over two years ago and have missed maybe three shifts on track and I'll take credit for those. I'd give them a call and talk to them about options. They will push you to the RXT but if you're not doing many track days I'd go RST. For heavy track use go RXT.

Black Boss is having issues with his RXT clutch so pay close attention to that. I recently had my trans out and the dealer thought my clutch looked worn. It has 11,000 miles and about 15 track days on it. I stopped by and snapped some photos of it and emailed the photos to McLeod. I got a fast response that said the clutch was fine and to continue to use it. They had the opportunity to sell me replacement discs but didn't.

I do get a bit of chatter with my RXT if I'm not smooth with the clutch and throttle from a dead stop. No other noises other than that. You should use their flywheel with their clutch as the RXT and RST do not mate with the stock flywheel. Yes it will work but do it right and don't look back. Buy their kit and you'll be good.

BTW ArizonaBoss recommends replacing the Slave/TOB every year with heavy track use and I also suggest you replace it while your trans is out. I replaced mine at 10,000 when I had my McLeod clutch installed and had it replaced again with my latest go around at about 21,000 miles. It's not worth a $170 part ruining your track day.

+1 on the Slave/TOB. Mine failed after 12,000 miles, just over 7,000 on track. Should have replaced it along with the Pulse Ring and Flywheel when the RXT went in.

Trans is getting dropped this week, so will be able to confirm if the RXT pressure plate did fail....

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
BigTaco said:
Any reason Exedy is not taken into consideration?

It looks to be a nice build on their twin disc, and it's SFI certified, so in answer to your question, I just didn't know about it. I'll have to look at what they offer for my application.

Are you running an Exedy clutch now, or have past experience with this brand for a MT-82 application?

Thanks,
Dave

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Black Boss said:
+1 on the Slave/TOB. Mine failed after 12,000 miles, just over 7,000 on track. Should have replaced it along with the Pulse Ring and Flywheel when the RXT went in.

Trans is getting dropped this week, so will be able to confirm if the RXT pressure plate did fail....

Thanks Black Boss, I'll be looking for more information on the cause of failure once you have time to pull it out. I seem to remember a possible PP housing crack?

It looks like, (only from the pics I've seen), that the RST/RXT has a stamped steel housing for their pressure plates? Some of the others I've looked at report billet CNC'ed PP housings, but I'm not sure if that makes a big difference, other than they are rebuildable.

Are the McLeod twin series rebuildable?

Good luck with the failure analysis.
Dave

Also

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Waiting to hear more from Black Boss about his issues but overall I have had zero issues with my RXT. I have the pedal helper spring removed.
You will need to give it more revs/slippage from a stop to get it moving *smoothly* but with the ceramic friction material, it seems just fine.

Absolutely no issues on-track in my experience; but McLeod does not market this as a true "race clutch", they have a "Magnum" for that.

Exedy would be an infallible option based on feedback from Rehagen but the price differential is noticeable.
Again, if your slave has over 10K miles and your tranny is coming out, REPLACE IT!

ArizonaBOSS said:
Waiting to hear more from Black Boss about his issues but overall I have had zero issues with my RXT. I have the pedal helper spring removed.
You will need to give it more revs/slippage from a stop to get it moving *smoothly* but with the ceramic friction material, it seems just fine.

Absolutely no issues on-track in my experience; but McLeod does not market this as a true "race clutch", they have a "Magnum" for that.

Exedy would be an infallible option based on feedback from Rehagen but the price differential is noticeable.
Again, if your slave has over 10K miles and your tranny is coming out, REPLACE IT!
Their recomendation was the reason I went this route.

302 Hi Pro said:
It looks to be a nice build on their twin disc, and it's SFI certified, so in answer to your question, I just didn't know about it. I'll have to look at what they offer for my application.

Are you running an Exedy clutch now, or have past experience with this brand for a MT-82 application?

Thanks,
Dave

Past experience, yes but not in a Mustang. The application was in an Mitsubishi EVO 9; not an apples to apples comparison, I know. This brand has just in recent years broken into the domestic HP aftermarket. What I like is their approach to high performance. Friendly clutch effort and application until you get into un-sprung applications. I know Boss Race cars have won with their clutches. There stuff is a bit on the pricey side one you get into aluminum covers but since I'm now experiencing high RPM lockout, I may swap one in soon.....

BT

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
I found a newer clutch on the market that will work perfectly for a Boss 302 that is street driven yet will hold up to any track day that can be thrown at it, including hard launches at the strip.

This clutch comes in a single, twin or triple disc configuration and is made 100% by a leading clutch manufacturer in the USA. They even make their own disks and disc materials.

Ace Manufacturing, Inc. dba: Ace Racing developed and brought this new technology from its winning NHRA Pro Stock multi clutch sets.

It is very MT82 gear/synchro friendly with street manors that is quit and chatter free according to the Ace.

Here is a link to the ACE PowerForce Twin:
http://www.aceracingclutches.com/products/powerforcestreetperformance.html

A bit pricy at $1,699, but it comes with everything needed for a direct bolt in to our 8 bolt crank.

Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel