The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Replacement recommendations for track-only Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Boss experts.
- Any recommendations as to a track-only clutch replacement for the Boss?
Car has stock trans with Dynatech alu. drive shaft.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Lee

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I only have 3 days on the McLeod RST but very happy so far, pedal effort is lighter than stock and now that it's broken in modulation and feel from a stop is very good. Makes some noise if you lug the engine below 1600 rpm. Characteristic of twin disc clutches
Steve

cloud9 said:
I have the Exedy twin disc I bought from Rehagen late last summer. I ran 5 track days before hibernation and was very happy with the performance so far.

Hi Gary,
How is throttle response?
I looked at this unit on Rehagen's site.
It is a 215mm (8+") unit.

I have been looking at 7.25" units from quartermaster.
- Did you get spring or solid disks?
Thanks for posting,

Gary, one other question,
- I have heard that there is a cam sensor(?) on the backside of the stock flywheel which must be converted over to the new clutch else there will be engine management issues.
Did you find this to be an item that required remediation?
thx.
Lee.

steveespo said:
I only have 3 days on the McLeod RST but very happy so far, pedal effort is lighter than stock and now that it's broken in modulation and feel from a stop is very good. Makes some noise if you lug the engine below 1600 rpm. Characteristic of twin disc clutches
Steve

Steve,
do you have the part nos.?
- also, did you replace flywheel?

lbp said:
Hi Gary,
How is throttle response?
I looked at this unit on Rehagen's site.
It is a 215mm (8+") unit.

I have been looking at 7.25" units from quartermaster.
- Did you get spring or solid disks?
Thanks for posting,

- I have heard that there is a cam sensor(?) on the backside of the stock flywheel which must be converted over to the new clutch else there will be engine management issues.
thx.
Lee.

thx.
Lee.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Love my McLeod RXT w/ aluminum flywheel.

Don't forget to switch to the CJ Pulse Ring while you're in there, and of course replace the slave cylinder.

ArizonaGT said:

Don't forget to switch to the CJ Pulse Ring while you're in there, and of course replace the slave cylinder.

- Does the pulse ring transfer to 3rd party flywheels without issue, & what slave cylinder did you use?
Last, I find zero units for our car on the McLeod site. Can you provide some parts nos. & vendor?
Many thanks!
Lee.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
lbp said:
- Does the pulse ring transfer to 3rd party flywheels without issue, & what slave cylinder did you use?
Last, I find zero units for our car on the McLeod site. Can you provide some parts nos. & vendor?
Many thanks!
Lee.

The pulse ring bolts to the end of the crankshaft, and then the flywheel goes on top of that--so it's independent of flywheel choice.

I bought my RXT from Lethal Performance on-sale earlier this year. Here is a link: http://www.lethalperformance.com/2012-2013-boss-mustang-302/transmission/clutch-kits/mcleod/mcleod-2011-2012-mustang-5-0l-rxt-twin-disc-clutch-kit-w-aluminum-flywheel.html

I replaced the slave with another OEM-spec unit. You might try calling McLeod because I believe they have a more robust version available now for our cars.

ArizonaGT said:
The pulse ring bolts to the end of the crankshaft, and then the flywheel goes on top of that--so it's independent of flywheel choice.

I bought my RXT from Lethal Performance on-sale earlier this year. Here is a link: http://www.lethalperformance.com/2012-2013-boss-mustang-302/transmission/clutch-kits/mcleod/mcleod-2011-2012-mustang-5-0l-rxt-twin-disc-clutch-kit-w-aluminum-flywheel.html

I replaced the slave with another OEM-spec unit. You might try calling McLeod because I believe they have a more robust version available now for our cars.

great!!
Many thanks.
Lee.

I am actually looking for a 7.25 or 5.5 inch single or dual solid disc unit with low mass flywheel.

Anyone have experience with Quartermaster?

I was told by QM that their unit works fine with the stock throw out slave, however I'd be happier to eliminate as many Ford bits as possible.

Thx all for posting.
Lee

ArizonaGT said:

Thanks for the tip on the cj pulse ring.
I plan to do the cj airbox this winter & that is a big help (would not want to drop the trans 2x!!!)

lbp said:
Thanks for the tip on the cj pulse ring.
I plan to do the cj airbox this winter & that is a big help (would not want to drop the trans 2x!!!)
There was some speculation that the CPR would help with CEL's at high RPM's. Prior to installing the CPR I regularly had CEL's at the track and an occasional limp mode. Since installing the CPR with my McLeod RXT clutch I haven't had a single CEL or limp mode in seven track days and several thousand miles of driving. Not sure if that's the reason and I have not had the TSB completed for the wiring harness.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
There was some speculation that the CPR would help with CEL's at high RPM's. Prior to installing the CPR I regularly had CEL's at the track and an occasional limp mode. Since installing the CPR with my McLeod RXT clutch I haven't had a single CEL or limp mode in seven track days and several thousand miles of driving. Not sure if that's the reason and I have not had the TSB completed for the wiring harness.

Same here--no CELs since CJ pulse ring and RXT install. I did replace my crank position sensor as well since the stock one was somehow DENTED. But anyone doing a clutch replacement should consider putting the CJ ring in...especially if you have an aftermarket tune that bumps up the rev limiter.

Interesting about the cel faults
I get zero C. faults on the track (Long tube Kooks with test pipes).

I've been talking to PowerTrain Technology www.powertraintech.com about clutches.
The cool thing is they will custom build a clutch specifically designed for my car's power and other driver requirements.
Cost is the same as a generic off the shelf unit of similar spec.

- Here is my question: Is it correct that our car has a 1 inch diameter transmission input shaft with a 28 spline count?
Just want to confirm because (if this spec is correct) it seems to be an unusual size.
Thx.
L.

[pdf]http://www.powertraintech.com/Files/PDFs/PTT2013ApplicationGuide.pdf[/pdf]

[pdf]http://www.powertraintech.com/Files/PDFs/PTT2013Catalog.pdf[/pdf]

OK,
I have decided to have Powertrain Technology http://www.powertraintech.com/ build a 7.25" dual disc clutch with button flywheel for the Boss which, since these engines are externally balanced, will utilize the Ford Flexplate.

I would have preferred a 5.5" unit, but since I am new to a low mass button setup, I do not want to burn it up halfway through the season.

Also, the 5.5" unit would require mid-season inspection/possible maintenance which I will gladly omit from my schedule.

I do have a couple of questions for the experts at BossMustangOnline:

1. Can anyone tell me whether the 2012 Boss uses a fork-actuated or annular hydraulic type throw-out mechanism?

2. - What is the piston size of the clutch master cylinder; ie. .75, or .6 inch diameter, or??

- Please don't tell me the clutch circuit is integral to the brake MCyl...

Many thanks to all who have participated in this thread and Happy Thanksgiving!

Lee.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
lbp said:
OK,
I have decided to have Powertrain Technology http://www.powertraintech.com/ build a 7.25" dual disc clutch with button flywheel for the Boss which, since these engines are externally balanced, will utilize the Ford Flexplate.

I would have preferred a 5.5" unit, but since I am new to a low mass button setup, I do not want to burn it up halfway through the season.

Also, the 5.5" unit would require mid-season inspection/possible maintenance which I will gladly omit from my schedule.

1. Can anyone tell me whether the 2012 Boss uses a fork-actuated or annular hydraulic type throw-out mechanism?

2. - What is the piston size of the clutch master cylinder; ie. .75, or .6 inch diameter, or??

Lee.

Annular hydraulic

Size??

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
lbp said:
OK,

Lee.

TMO Supporting Vendors