The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Spring and Pedal Extension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know a lot of people have removed their clutch assist spring but I see now that Steeda makes a lighter spring for the S550's. The description mentions this :

By negating your factory clutch assist spring you will notice chatter/NVH from your clutch pedal. Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-35-lb-in-15-16-all-555-7022/

Are these valid issues with removing the spring?

Also, I've considered a clutch pedal extension since getting the car almost 3 years ago. Is anyone here using one a track car? My car isn't only a track car but I do plan to be on track about 12 days this year and probably about the same every year going forward. Wondering if this would be a worthwhile addition for a short guy (5'7")? I've survived this long but if I can make driving better than I'm all for it.

I have done both mods,the clutch pedal extension is solid and I have forgot I have it.The spring is very easy to remove and may prevent pedal staying on the floor,I like the feel without it.Vise grips all that's required to remove.

drano38

Wayne
I've been running the pedal extension for several years, and like it--feels perfectly normal.
Still have my clutch spring in.

Yeah I'm hoping to have my racing seat in for a test run by Thursday and then the final setup figured out by this weekend. The first test will be with the standard seat belt. The final setup will be after I figure out all the mounting points for my 6 point harness. That will probably help me decide on pedal extension. I'm not sure about the spring yet since I haven't had any issues. I'd hate to see that taking it out causes those other problems that are mentioned.

Now I'm debating on MGW or Blowfish bracket. I didn't want to thrown down for the MGW just yet but I should probably do something soon. That and a fluid change with Synchomax. If only I could afford to do everything at once ;D.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel