The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch sticking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know I have seen someone talk about their clutch sticking to the floor on one of the forums but I can't find it. I took my '13 to the drag strip for the first time Saturday. I ran her pretty hard maybe 6 times. When I went for number 7 the clutch stuck to the floor when I was shift to 3rd. I had to physically go dowm and pull it up. Can someone please help me and tell me what happened. What's the solution for this?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Welcome to the club ;D There are a number of thoughts on why this happens but I don't believe it's been ever fully vetted out. Some believe it's the return spring binding. Some believe it's due to temp buildup. Just sit tight and there will be a bunch of people chiming in. Also, there is a thread for tranny/clutch issues somewhere already...

-Pete

And some of us believe it's the clutch pressure plate not able to handle high revs. The threads are stickies in the general forum.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?board=13.0

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I used to have the same issue. I have tried all the other "solutions" and it came down to a clutch swap. I am now running a centerforce DYAD clutch and it never sticks to the floor. If its to rich for you blood you can try out a mcleod rst.

what didnt work for me
new stainless clutch line
fluid swap
bleeding the system
removing assist spring (I put it back in)
Redline MTL fluid in the trans
MGW shifter
Trans Scoop

other fixes recommended are the GT500 pedal assembly (I have on sitting in a box in my garage)

It happens in my buddies GT if you shift it above 7K as well. I am 99.9% sure that it is all due to the pressure plate.

Save yourself the headache and money and just get a better clutch. thats my .02

I tried -

Clutch Line - no change
Trans Fluid change (on original trans) - shifted a bit better but no change
Trans scoop - no change
Clutch fluid change and bleed - a bit better but still happens
Remove assist spring - this seems to have helped (will know more after upcoming track weekend)

Ford just put a new transmission in my car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I think I'm gonna get a McLeod RXT after driving Captdistraction's car with one. No clutch issues even above 8000 RPM. I'm glad you guys posted the checklists of what didn't work here so I can skip all that BS.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Just received an advert from Lethal.

To date, my clutch works great. Others have not been so fortunate.

20% to 30% OFF McLeod clutch kits!

To redeem the 20% off of any McLeod product use the coupon code MCLEOD20.

To redeem the 30% off of McLeod Street Pro and Super Street Pro singe disc clutch kits use the coupon code MCLEOD30.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
TMSBOSS said:
Just received an advert from Lethal.

To date, my clutch works great. Others have not been so fortunate.

20% to 30% OFF McLeod clutch kits!

To redeem the 20% off of any McLeod product use the coupon code MCLEOD20.

To redeem the 30% off of McLeod Street Pro and Super Street Pro singe disc clutch kits use the coupon code MCLEOD30.

holy crap I guess I'm buying one today.

Edit: Just pulled the trigger on an RXT with Aluminum flywheel...THANKS for the discount code!!

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
I think I'm gonna get a McLeod RXT after driving Captdistraction's car with one. No clutch issues even above 8000 RPM. I'm glad you guys posted the checklists of what didn't work here so I can skip all that BS.
yeah I take mine to 8200 without worry

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Justin said:
let me know how the noise is with the mcleod. the only complaint I have about the DYAD is the noise it makes with the clutch pushed in.

captdistraction's has a little chatter, I'm expecting mine will be the same; the car will probably not see street use again after June of this year so the noise shouldn't be an issue.

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
captdistraction's has a little chatter, I'm expecting mine will be the same; the car will probably not see street use again after June of this year so the noise shouldn't be an issue.
I have gotten used to the noise only when I am beside a wall or pulling out the garage can I really hear it. much less frustrating then pulling the clutch pedal off the floor everytime I take it past 7K though lol

Just curious as to why you guys are going with the RXT clutch rated to 1000hp vs the (cheaper) RST that's rated at a 'mere' 800hp? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John

Justin

my centerforce is rated at 1300ft of trq. I went with the centerforce cause I had their clutches in the past on my cobra. thought might as well go with the highest rating cause knowing me I will at some point make a lot of power and not having to worry about the clutch is great.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
konablueeboss302 said:
Just curious as to why you guys are going with the RXT clutch rated to 1000hp vs the (cheaper) RST that's rated at a 'mere' 800hp? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John

RXT because the car will see the road course quite often and the organic material in the RST is not going to hold up to that beating.

"Chatter" = noise from the floater plate between the two discs when the clutch is depressed or being slipped to get moving.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel