The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

clutch upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With a vmp supercharger I'm looking to upgrade the clutch.I'm looking @ the exedy mach 500 stage 3, Will the stock flywheel work or recommend a matching exedy flywheel? I know to upgrade the throwout bearing slave cylinder and kit comes with the throwout bearing and up grade the clutch line. Anything else you recommend? Anything helpful?

What does Exedy recommend? Is that clutch a twin disc? With my McLeod twin disc RXT they recommended a new flywheel as their clutch was closer to the center of the driveline and the stock flywheel surface area didn't go towards the centerline far enough to cover all the clutch surface.

American muscle recommends a new flywheel,it is a single disc so I thought I might be able to reuse the stock flywheel and save $400.00 that what my question is?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Might want to call Exedy and just verify with them that the dimensions are OK for the stock flywheel.
Sometimes they need to be resurfaced as well--check for any material build-up on the existing flywheel or scraping/scarring.
Clean the FW surface with Brakleen and wipe dry before the new clutch goes on.

If you have to get a new FW, you could also consider a lightened aluminum one that will help the driveline spin up/slow down quicker. It makes a difference on the track (in the same way an aluminum driveshaft will) but might be overkill for the street (or your wallet). ;)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The McLeod flywheel wouldn't fit a stock boss flywheel. Fits a gt flywheel though. The dowel pins are different sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
So you have a vmp supercharger on the Boss ? What kinda power are you getting out of it and what is your set up , tune , exhaust and such ? I like the McLeod products for the clutch they are top notch and made in the USA. I have the RST and matching lightened steel flywheel. Super charger = RXT.

TMO Supporting Vendors