The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

clutch went out on me on a road course.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
texas
I have a 2017 mustang gt with only 15k miles on them. Its been to about 20 races on road course only. While racing i started to hear a whining noise but it felt like i still had power. Then in the third 20 minute session i got one lap done, took a turn and noticed it was hard to put my car into gear, came to a hard stop and next straight away and my clutch went flacid. However it would go into gear while the car was off so i was able to start it to put it on the trailer. Before i take it somewhere do yall have any idea what might of happen? Its been to many road course sessions on hot days so i don't believe it overheated.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If the clutch held okay putting it on the trailer, I'm thinking hydraulics. Could be clutch master or slave cylinder seal failure or clutch line leak. Any fluid dripping around/below driver's firewall or transmission?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
texas
If the clutch held okay putting it on the trailer, I'm thinking hydraulics. Could be clutch master or slave cylinder seal failure or clutch line leak. Any fluid dripping around/below driver's firewall or transmission?
Negative on the fluids... im gonna start with the easy stuff though like the master clutch. I just don't know about the high pitched whining sound i kept hearing. Very similar sound to what a supercharger makes. I'll keep you updated what i find out bc i hope its an easy fix.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel