The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

#$@*&%! Clutch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It appears there is no definitive fix for this problem. I don't think it's heat because the clutch pedal still felt "sloppy" (more than normal free play) in the morning after car was sitting all night. Several pumps seemed to restore normal free play. Then I ran the first track session Sunday and clutch screwed up on 3rd lap. Funny thing is it was fine for six 30 minute sessions earlier in the weekend before it messed up. I'm wondering if it may be component failure. I'm taking car to dealer in a few days to fix my CEL codes (P0300 and P0420). This time I did not clear them after they set. I'll have them check out clutch at the same time.

With hydralics the line really should not make any difference I replaced mine just to get that plastic out of the car infact I brought the line and ford replaced it with no problems at all.

i Had a similar issue, on the first two sessions the clutch pedal got stuck approx halfway down and i just put my toe under it and pulled it back up.

It only happened once on both the morning sessions but never again in the afternoon session, by the way, doesn't happen in my 2011GT on the track is the clutch different?

Jza1736 said:
But didn't OLOA Boss change his clutch and continue to have problems? Isn't That why he sold his?
He tried two clutches, the first didn't solve the problem but the second did. The second was a McLeod RST twin disc.

Edit: here's the thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/boss-balking-shift-at-track-definitive-thread/15/

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
Jza1736 said:
But didn't OLOA Boss change his clutch and continue to have problems? Isn't That why he sold his?
He tried two clutches, the first didn't solve the problem but the second did. The second was a McLeod twin disc.
yeah the first one was a ram I think. I had a ram in the past on a previous car....hunk of crap

5 DOT 0 said:
Jza1736 said:
He tried two clutches, the first didn't solve the problem but the second did. The second was a McLeod RST twin disc.

Edit: here's the thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/boss-balking-shift-at-track-definitive-thread/15/

Is he still on here? So the McLeod RST twin disc solved the problem? Want to know if he changed out the slave each time or used the stock one?

jeepinocala said:
Is he still on here? So the McLeod RST twin disc solved the problem? Want to know if he changed out the slave each time or used the stock one?
He's still here but sold his Boss. I asked that question in the other trread and he did not replace the slave cylinder. He only tracked his Boss once with the RST but it worked fine and no more lock out.

Sesshomurai

I guess this is common knowledge to most, so pardons if its redundant, but I pulled this quote off hardbrakes.com

"Fluid fade... happens when the temperature of the caliper cylinder (or the piston) reaches the boiling point of the brake fluid and tiny bubbles of compressible gas form in and are diffused through the previously incompressible brake fluid. The pedal then goes to the floor, giving rise to frantic pumping of both the brake pedal and the driver's heart[...] Basically, if the pedal goes all soft and horrible you [...] have boiled the brake fluid. The only cure is to either upgrade the fluid or keep it cooler. This can be achieved either by increasing the cooling to the caliper or by insulating the caliper pistons."
-- Carroll Smith, Engineer to Win

Seems to resemble the problem here.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I don't believe Chuck lost his brakes when he lost he clutch, no ? Also, based on how I've seen Chuck drive he is not hard on brakes at all, very smooth. He's got RBF600 in there and I'd be surprised if he cooked that fluid, especially with the brake cooling ducts. On my LS the front brakes actually run cooler than the rears is the ambient temps are not too warm.

Justin

darreng505 said:
I guess this is common knowledge to most, so pardons if its redundant, but I pulled this quote off hardbrakes.com

"Fluid fade... happens when the temperature of the caliper cylinder (or the piston) reaches the boiling point of the brake fluid and tiny bubbles of compressible gas form in and are diffused through the previously incompressible brake fluid. The pedal then goes to the floor, giving rise to frantic pumping of both the brake pedal and the driver's heart[...] Basically, if the pedal goes all soft and horrible you [...] have boiled the brake fluid. The only cure is to either upgrade the fluid or keep it cooler. This can be achieved either by increasing the cooling to the caliper or by insulating the caliper pistons."
-- Carroll Smith, Engineer to Win

Seems to resemble the problem here.
I am not convinced its that as the car was sitting for over an hour.....a burn out and launch -2-3-.....no fourth cant see the fluid getting that hot that quick. if it did the whole system needs reinvented.

Sesshomurai

I am not convinced its that as the car was sitting for over an hour.....a burn out and launch -2-3-.....no fourth cant see the fluid getting that hot that quick. if it did the whole system needs reinvented.
[/quote]

What if the boil already happened and the bubbles were in the system. Then it perhaps wouldn't matter how hot the fluid got later because it had air in it already...yes? no? maybe?

Justin

darreng505 said:

What if the boil already happened and the bubbles were in the system. Then it perhaps wouldn't matter how hot the fluid got later because it had air in it already...yes? no? maybe?
[/quote]doubtful as I pump the pedal around 50 times before I get to the line just for that reason

I asked a guy at our local hydralic shop an hour ago he told me he did not think it was from heat at all. This fluid boils at what 400 degree?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel