The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

#$@*&%! Clutch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoFlaBoss said:
This weekend I got a chance to speak with a Ford technician friend who knows about my Boss and the problem it has with the clutch pedal staying down and the clutch not disengaging during the occaisional high RPM shift. He told me that Ford recently developed a solution, which has something to do with the master cylinder, something to do with not providing enough pressure. I'm not sure if it's a published TSB yet. However, when I get more info I will share it.
This is an interesting development and I hope there's something to it.

Sorry, my technician somehow was thinking TSB 10-19-04 was the fix, which is only the fix for cars built before 4-25-2010. What a bummer!

I'm convinced there is some issue with the hydraulics which is the source of at least some of the issues, as my tranny is good for a while after each bleed. At least unless mine has something wrong with it besides what has been fixed already.

CaliMR said:
I'm convinced there is some issue with the hydraulics which is the source of at least some of the issues, as my tranny is good for a while after each bleed. At least unless mine has something wrong with it besides what has been fixed already.

Check to make sure your line is not against the pipes. You situation sounds possibly different.

jeepinocala said:
So what is this a false alarm? ::)

Yes Sparky it was a false alarm! I expected some good news based on what I was told over the weekend. However, there was obviously some miscommunication.

Last week I reported this problem to Ford and they opened a case for my Boss. I wanted to make sure the problem at least got documented, so if and when they find a solution, my Boss will get fixed. Supposedly Ford's technical people are in the process of researching the problem and will report later this week what steps, if any, will be necessary.

Last week I reported this problem to Ford and they opened a case for my Boss. I wanted to make sure the problem at least got documented, so if and when they find a solution, my Boss will get fixed. Supposedly Ford's technical people are in the process of researching the problem and will report later this week what steps, if any, will be necessary.
[/quote]

I have decided that the entire clutch system is crap not knowing what part is the problem I have to ask can the gt500 clutch system work in this car I want to replace the entire thing including pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate I mean everything I do not drive cars with issues and not starting now. I have had only a few times of the clutch keeping it from shifting with the black key but that should not matter I just do not feel comfortable knowing it can act like a two dollar car anytime. It is very embarrasing when you take someone for a drive and you cant even shift the damn thing. Think my dealer is going to hate me real soon ::)

four-walling said:
Good luck. (no sarcasm intended).

No worries I know they are pretty useless and do have a backup plan... There is a pretty nice dealership not to far and a swap is pretty easy to do ;D Good timing though I am fixing to buy my wife a new f150 loaded from the dealer that installs my clutch ;D

Any thoughts of this????? http://www.lethalperformance.com/2012-2013-boss-mustang-302/transmission/slave-cylinders/ram-hydraulic-throwout-bearing-travel-adjustment-system.html

Re: #$@*&%! Clutch! - FIXED!!!

Problem was leaking slave cylinder as suspected. However, I also asked them look into P0300 and P0420 codes I was getting. They found a partially MELTED cat on driver's side! Anybody melt a cat before? Glad the $1420 bill was covered under warranty!

ECR054_zps3d554e03.jpg
ECR053_zps9079b2b3.jpg

Can you give a detailed description of how the pedal was acting? I read the first post and I'm trying to figure out how similar my issue is. At this point, I would have to go out of pocket to fix it and then try to get reimbursement as Ford and the dealer have made it clear they are not going to do anything under warranty unless it fails while on a test drive.

CaliMR said:
Can you give a detailed description of how the pedal was acting? I read the first post and I'm trying to figure out how similar my issue is. At this point, I would have to go out of pocket to fix it and then try to get reimbursement as Ford and the dealer have made it clear they are not going to do anything under warranty unless it fails while on a test drive.
Easy: while on track clutch pedal went to floor and stayed there. I was able to get the car into 4th by rev matching in neutral and made it back to the pits. By that time the clutch was partially functional and I was able to come to a stop without stalling but the pedal had tons of free play. I let the car cool down thinking it might just be boiled fluid. Still lots of free play so I just pumped the pedal about 50 times. Clutch felt normal again. I took it out on the road and it seemed to be OK. The next day I took it back on track and pedal went to floor again after about 3 laps. This time I was able to pull the pedal back up with my foot and restore clutch function enough to drive back to pits. I decided to pack it in for the weekend, put my street tires back on a and drive home. On the 5 hour trip home the clutch acted up a couple of times but a few pumps and it was working again so I made it home just fine. The next morning I went out to my garage and noticed master cylinder was down a bit. I pumped the clutch about 50 to 60 times and then moved the car. There was a nice little puddle of brake fluid on the garage floor so I was 95% sure it was a bad slave cylinder. That's probably why dealer had no question on the warranty fix because it was obviously leaking. If yours is not leaking it might be tough to reproduce the problem on a test drive. Even with my leak it would only fail under track conditions and twice on a 5 hour road trip.

Mine doesn't leave puddles, though my brakes did before they fixed them. My pedal doesn't stick to the floor, it gets stuck right at the engagement point and just slips. I also have grinding coming out of gear sometimes and issues with it kicking out of gear. Thanks for the added info, I will have to noodle more on my issue as it seems different from yours.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel