The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cobalt Racing Brakes - GT350 and GT500 pads available now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Vancouver, WA
Cobalt7-Small.jpg

Greetings TMO Members,

Kyle with Cobalt Racing Brakes here. Wanted to post and let our friends know that we have fitments for nearly every mustang model available now. We maintain a good inventory, but also have the ability to make pads for your application with quick turnaround at our factory in Michigan.

Most recently, our GT350 and GT500 pads have really gotten popular, so just wanted to put an official word out that we do offer those pads.

Over the years our pads have seen success in everything from SCCA Racing, Indy Lights, Grand-Am, IMSA, Continental Tire, and so many other great racing series around the states.

We're in the process of updating to a new website, so if you don't see pads for your specific application, shoot me a PM or an email at [email protected] or give us a call at 734-375-9148 and we will gladly get you taken care of.

Thanks!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and always great to have a new Sponsor on TMO , as LudaChris is very selective on who he feels is a quality company that can contribute to the track rats that scramble around here!! Look forward to your comments and contributions.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Phoenix
Thank you Bill! We're all big fans of the Mustang platform having built and raced several over the years! Looking forward to being an active part of the TMO community.
Hey Kyle looking at the website looks like the closest to stock (OEM) GT350 Ferodo are the XR4, like many of us we not only drive to the track, but also still daily our cars. In reference to the front calipers, would the XR3 be an upgrade over stock, and would the XR2 be too aggressive for these applications?
Thanks!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Vancouver, WA
Very well stocked currently on the GT350 and GT500 pads, but we also have a ton of other pads and fitments in stock.

Made in the USA in Detroit! Shoot me an email to order at [email protected] or call at 734-375-9148.

Starting to plan our event calendar for 2022, any events you'd like us to participate in?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Vancouver, WA
Oh Nice! From the great picture, it looks you guys got the annulus right too!

Is "Cobalt Optimized" (rears) just the pad shape?

I saw for thickness there's "custom". Can you do thinner than 16.5mm for the CRB.XRx.RC49 (Optimized Rear)? I run a rear two-piece rotor that is 23mm vs 19mm (factory). I need the max pad thickness, including backplate, less than 16mm.

Is this pad set one that usually you have some on hand or can make? I guess the real question is would I have to wait 6 weeks for a pad set (front + rear)?

Thanks @Kyle@CobaltFriction for the help! Very helpful!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Vancouver, WA
Oh Nice! From the great picture, it looks you guys got the annulus right too!

Is "Cobalt Optimized" (rears) just the pad shape?

I saw for thickness there's "custom". Can you do thinner than 16.5mm for the CRB.XRx.RC49 (Optimized Rear)? I run a rear two-piece rotor that is 23mm vs 19mm (factory). I need the max pad thickness, including backplate, less than 16mm.

Is this pad set one that usually you have some on hand or can make? I guess the real question is would I have to wait 6 weeks for a pad set (front + rear)?

Thanks @Kyle@CobaltFriction for the help! Very helpful!

The Optimized pad shape was a shape we made during the GrandAm days that gets rid of the springs on top of the pad, and increases the surface area of the friction material.

Yes, we can mill them to virtually any thickness, so if you have thick rotors and need a thinner pad shape, that's not a problem at all.

6 weeks, nope! Generally if it's not in stock, we can have it shipped within 48hours. Everything is made in house in Ann Arbor, Michigan, so no need to wait on external suppliers.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am sure everyone appreciates the information as I was surprised about the 48 hour turn around and I can't imagine it isn't going to be noted by a lot of TMO members. Nice to have a Sponsor on here who gets back often and helps with TMO Trackrat questions. Many thanks!!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Vancouver, WA
I am sure everyone appreciates the information as I was surprised about the 48 hour turn around and I can't imagine it isn't going to be noted by a lot of TMO members. Nice to have a Sponsor on here who gets back often and helps with TMO Trackrat questions. Many thanks!!
Thank you Bill! Worth noting we generally have the Mustang pad shapes in stock as well, as its one of our more popular applications.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ludachris has got some solid Sponsors on here and those who have realized that the growth of the site with new members ( many who are novices or just beginning to mod their cars ) is constant have found the tech info and response to questions really increases their presence and sales. There are plenty of questions on brakes , pads, etc. and with the wide range of cars and driver needs ( Autocross, Time Trials, Road Race, street and track ) new info and product development is widely read.

TMO Supporting Vendors