The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cobra Jet 5.0 Engine Article

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Check out the latest article on the 2013 CJ 5.0. I have this in the technical section because a lot of what's discussed applies to the Boss engine for upgrades. Who's going to be the first to try the CJ intake? Get your checkbooks out. :D

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1207_coyote_5_0_engine/viewall.html#ixzz1wt98xkG3

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I read that article, it was a great read. I would love to do that intake manifold and tb but only if ford can make a revised trackey to have installed so it will work lol

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That's a whole lot of writing without actually saying anything; I was hoping for the same level of detail that was in the Coyote and Roadrunner articles that came out last year.

I was looking for HP numbers. Looks like the exhaust cam is the way to go with long tubes...

EDIT found HP number for the exhaust cam.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1207_coyote_5_0_engine/photo_11.html

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
95blitz said:
I was looking for HP numbers. Looks like the exhaust cam is the way to go with long tubes...

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1207_coyote_5_0_engine/photo_11.html

They're saying those cams will add 20hp w/ the headers installed, and the headers are already known to be good for around 30whp; so with the cams plus the headers, you might see 50whp. Not sure how much of that is dependent on the intake manifold and TB, however.

This quote was interesting as well:

"While the lower intake manifold and intercooler are the same parts utilized by Ford Racing Performance Parts for its Coyote supercharger kits, these lower manifolds are port-matched to the CNC'd RoadRunner cylinder heads. FRPP is considering offering this part individually or as part of a Boss-specific supercharger kit."

SouthJerseyBoss said:

"While the lower intake manifold and intercooler are the same parts utilized by Ford Racing Performance Parts for its Coyote supercharger kits, these lower manifolds are port-matched to the CNC'd RoadRunner cylinder heads. FRPP is considering offering this part individually or as part of a Boss-specific supercharger kit."

Interesting. I rather go turbo though.

CaliMR said:
SouthJerseyBoss said:

Twin turbo. ;)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
CaliMR said:
SouthJerseyBoss said:

Twin turbo. ;)
hellion hell raiser kit?

ArizonaGT said:
95blitz said:

They're saying those cams will add 20hp w/ the headers installed, and the headers are already known to be good for around 30whp; so with the cams plus the headers, you might see 50whp. Not sure how much of that is dependent on the intake manifold and TB, however.

I think 450 to the tire is doable @8K

95blitz said:
ArizonaGT said:
95blitz said:

I think that's low. One of the magazines got a Boss to make 440 rwhp with just a CAI, Tune, Headers, and O/R X-pipe. Cams would definitely be worth more than 10 hp on that setup. With the cams + CJ intake + oval blade TB + 123mm MAF I think you'd be getting close to 500 at the wheels. I'm betting the CJ 5.0 is over 500 at the wheels, but it also is overbored and has 12:1 comp.

Rich_S said:
95blitz said:
ArizonaGT said:
95blitz said:

I think that's low. One of the magazines got a Boss to make 440 rwhp with just a CAI, Tune, Headers, and O/R X-pipe. Cams would definitely be worth more than 10 hp on that setup. With the cams + CJ intake + oval blade TB + 123mm MAF I think you'd be getting close to 500 at the wheels. I'm betting the CJ 5.0 is over 500 at the wheels, but it also is overbored and has 12:1 comp.
That's all good on a drag car, but I wonder how they're cooling the race cars. If we're overheating them at 400 rwhp with significant cooling upgrades, there's no way we'll keep them cool in any temps over 70 degrees with 500 especially if you bump the revs to 8000. I am still guessing the A/C condenser's got to go, but it seems extreme for a street car. Who's going to be the first one to test it?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
Rich_S said:
95blitz said:
ArizonaGT said:
95blitz said:

That's all good on a drag car, but I wonder how they're cooling the race cars. If we're overheating them at 400 rwhp with significant cooling upgrades, there's no way we'll keep them cool in any temps over 70 degrees with 500 especially if you bump the revs to 8000. I am still guessing the A/C condenser's got to go, but it seems extreme for a street car. Who's going to be the first one to test it?

Now that my friend is a silly question.... ;D

Im going to start buying the parts next year or late this year. After all the parts are bought i'll install it all just before the warranty runs out.

TMO Supporting Vendors