The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cobra Jet Cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I don't think anyone at ford will divulge what cams are in the CJ engines. The Aluminator XS has the BEXH exhaust cams your refer to, but use the BINT, not a stock boss intake (which is a stock gt intake as well). pahser limiters are not needed for these cams.

Per Ford Racing Catalog.. Page 114

5.0 GT exh 11mm lift/263 dur
int 12mm lift/260 dur

Boss 302 Stock: exh 13mm lift/263 dur
int 13 mm lift/263 dur

Cobra Jet exh 13mm lift/290 dur
int 13 mm/ 263 dur ( stock Boss)

This was for the N/A CJ.
http://www.emagcloud.com/FordRacingCatalogue/Ford_Racing_Catalogue_Web/index.html#/116/

Lift in inches 11mm=.433"
12 mm=.472"
13mm= .512"

Forced Induction my be different.. Just info I got from there pub.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
OE boss intake cam is the same 12mm/260 used in the GT, I guarantee it.

intake cam duration is what will effect idle quality. the 263 advertised duration of the M-6550-M50BINT is very tame and only 3 degrees greater than the stock boss cams.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Are these advertised durations at .050" lift or are they overall duration above 0 lift?
The reason I ask is because lift below .050 is considered insignificant to flow in or out. So with creative cam grind a duration can look big on paper but not really perform as well as a cam with faster opening and closing rates. I would bet that the CJ cams have more aggressive ramp profiles than the Boss or GT cams making the 13 mm lift more effective in high RPM cylinder filling and evacuation. CJ doesn't have emissions to worry about or cats to protect. Downside is the steeper ramp curves play havoc with valve seating, durability and idle quality, VCT can help with idle some and low end but at high RPM the valves seats and springs will take more of a pounding.
I am going to search for the full cam specs and profiles, if anyone has them then please post.
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Advertised is at .050 and is as useful as cold crank amps on a battery (which is some f'ed up multiplication of actual amps). But it's what ford is using so its all we have to go by. If its the same ramp rate as the gt/boss intake, it is known to be 211degrees at .009"...which is very street able.

I would love to get the actual specs of these cams to compare against the comp cams offerings, which have a high ramp rate, but small lift.

My guess is the CJ cams are going to have a low ramp rate, since they have been certified for 150,000 mile service. High ramp rates are the enemy of service life.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
pufferfish said:
My guess is the CJ cams are going to have a low ramp rate, since they have been certified for 150,000 mile service. High ramp rates are the enemy of service life.

Steve
Are you sure these durations are at .050"?
I looked but couldn't confirm it, seem like a lot of overlap but I guess TiVCT can do alot to make all that work.
Also where did you read the CJ engines have 150000 mile durability testing. Any inside info needs to be divulged to us at SPECTRE.
Steve E

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Damn, I stated that wrong. Duration at .009" lift is advertised. Duration at .050" is the one that tells the tale of ramp rate. The CJ intake cam is [email protected]".

I read a mmff (i believe that was the publication) article about the new CJ cams or possibly the cj engine and it stated the cams were certified for 150000mile service life. I will have to find it and post a link.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
curiosity is killing this cat, so I put in a call to ford tech to get the full specs on these CJ cams. the guy on the other end of the line doesn't have the info I need, but insists the M-6550-M50INT is factory issue for 2012-2013 boss 302's. I know for certain this is not the case, but the catalog sure does imply this. so, I was talking to a catalog, not someone in the know.

he was going to contact someone who might know and call me back. we will see if that happens. I am very intrigued by the idea of a cam that breathes better, but doesn't have so much duration as to kill the low end like the comp cams XFI NSR's do. I have also put in a custom cam request to comp cams to see what they would recommend. they don't offer anything off the shelf for boss heads, which can handle more lift than the gt heads they developed the NSR cams for.

The 13 mm lift/263 dur intake cam was originally developed for the Boss and intended to be used in the production Boss, but late in the program they decided to use the same intake cam as the GT for purely cost saving reasons.

If Ford releases a GT350 Mustang model in 2015 or 2016, my bet is it's a Boss long block with the CJ cams, CJ intake manifold, and CJ throttle body along with an open element CAI like the GT500. Depending on how they tune it, I'd expect it to be rated in the 500-510 hp range.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Rich, Thanks for backing me up on the gt intake cam being in the production boss!

I am still waiting for the ford tech to get back to me on the lift at .050 specs, but comp cams did get back to me and they only have the 3 cams already available to choose from. The guy wasn't aware of any plans to make cams for the boss motor. I didn't specifically ask for a custom grind to my specs, but the usual semi-custom of the past, where you pick lobe profiles from a chart ala cart, is not an option right now.

I can definitely see a productionized version of the aluminator XS in a limited production car, such as the gt350. It would have to be put in sooner than later though. Emissions and fuel economy standards get tighter every year. It won't be long before they will need to do direct injection, which will change the heads at least and everything else at most.

To add to the discussion. I was looking at Comp Cams web site. Their cam lifts are 0.498 I believe.

Question, it was my understanding that phaser limiters were needed because of the VVT and cam lift interfering with the pistons. If the CJ cams have the same lift could there be valve to piston clearance issues as well if phasers are not used??

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
It's not the lift that anyone is concerned with causing ptv interference, it's how long the valve stays open in the cycle. The comp cams have a longer open time than the cj's do, but that still isn't the reason for the limiters...in fact, comp cams would still do limiters if they created The same grind as the CJ cams. Why...C-Y-A...cover your ass. Folks like AED don't use the limiters on even the most aggressive stage 3 cams.

I will be having Fastlane install these cams/CJ mani/mono tb in a few weeks. I've had them since last year just waiting since I was overseas. I'm anxious...

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
very interested to see your results!

I got a ride in a 522rwhp gt with ported heads, JPC regrinds, Cj mani/TB and it was INTENSE!

So am I lol. I hoping for something close to that. I wanted to send my heads off to JPC for the Stg. 2 job, but money has gotten tight now that I had to move and started school. So, I may just let Fastlane do some mild porting as well to give an extra bump

TNYDNZA said:
So am I lol. I hoping for something close to that. I wanted to send my heads off to JPC for the Stg. 2 job, but money has gotten tight now that I had to move and started school. So, I may just let Fastlane do some mild porting as well to give an extra bump

Keep us posted and if at all possible how about some sound clips/video of the car at idle and a full driving impression. Thanks...

BTW were you overseas with military??

TMO Supporting Vendors