The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cobra Jet Grill Disassembly Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I went and bought a Cobra Jet grill for my Boss and of course the grill came assembled and prepainted white. Now I need to take it apart and have it painted to match my stock red grill surround.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the retaining clips off. I'd have no problems cutting them off with a pair of dikes but I haven't really looked for replacement clips like these before so I'm wondering if they are readily available. Bending clips when the stud is metal doesn't scare me but these studs are plastic and don't seem to be extraordinarily stout. Cutting them and buying new ones would seem to be the safe way to go.

Anyone seen these kinds of retaining clips in the wild ? I doubt the dealer sells them new. They look kinda like the little retainer clips that came on the wheel studs of the SN95 Mustang wheel studs to hold the rotor in place, just way smaller.

If you guys need pics of the clips I can post them.

I have the CJ grille and I think you can get those clips at your local Ford dealer. Take the grille into your local parts department and see if they have them. Personally I'd leave it together and mask it off and paint it.

A bit of research shows that these appear to be Starlock push-on retaining washers.

The Cobra Jet grill is a bit of a joke in terms of the quality. The parts were hand cut and it looks to me like there is room for improvement/cleanup in a few spots on the back side of mine. I wanna take it apart to clean it up/enlarge the openings in a few spots as much as paint it.

Apparently mine was done by "BIG JOHN".

I'll check with my friend at Ford parts tomorrow and find out if they can get them.

There are 24 of them left (as of when I got mine a few weeks ago) from a specific Ford dealer. They have all of the last remaining stock in the country. I can give you the contact info for them if you would like.

It is not. I wasn't sure if it was ok to name names in a public post. It is Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor MI.

Ok, so does anyone know who the 3rd party company is that Ford contracted ? The only Starlock washers I can find for sale anywhere ship from the UK and you have to buy over 1000 pieces most of the time. I wanna just call the guys that made these originally and see if I can buy a set of the clips from them directly.....

So I seem to have found a proper replacement for the clips. Specialty Tool in Goleta/Santa Barbara had what I needed. I think the part number was AVC 8863, they call them push nuts. If anyone needs to contact them to order some clips you can get in touch with them by phone. Their website is www.specialtytoolandbolt.com. I'm fairly sure they do mail order.

These guys are great and have had a lot of stuff I have had a hard time finding in the past. I don't know why I didn't go there first.....

I got my grill apart this past weekend and wanted to post pics of it disassembled in case anyone was wondering what it looked like. One thing to note if you are taking it apart and are going to buy the push on washers for reassembly, there are 2 more of them that hold the outer grill section to the middle piece so buy 18, not 16.

I ended up using a very small screw driver to pry one side of the washers and dikes to clip them. Some came off easier than others but I didn't break any of the clips which was the mail goal. I did mar the surface in a few spots where the washers butt up against the inner grill section but it wont negatively impact the retention once the new pieces are installed. I don't think it will be visibly noticeable from the back and of course it will be invisible in the front.

Here are the pics:
CJGrillBack.jpg

CJGrillFront.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
JScheier said:
Any idea on V6 part numbers? I've been on fordparts.com and haven't been able to figure it out.

Some of the parts may cross bolt from the V6, but I doubt it. The surround from the V6 is molded with the bumper. GT, Boss and CJ use a clip-in surround. If you're looking for other OEM options, try the GT/CS parts.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
I thought this grille was from the V6 MCA model which is similar to the CS?

The parts that are red in that picture are molded with the bumper. The insert and metal grille may be the same aside from finish color of the grille. But the painted surround on the GT/CS is a separate part that clips in to the bumper like the Boss grilles and the GT grille.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel