The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cobra Jet Grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was talking to KYBOSS at Carlisle about the Cobra Jet grill and he had said that FRPP stopped selling them/making them and that they wer getting hard to find. I sent a message to Steve over at Tasca Ford inquiring about the grill since they are a huge retailer for Ford Racing and I got this reply from him:

From what I can find they used the California Special grille. That's direct from FRPP.

P/N BR3Z*8200*AA $219.45 plus shipping.

-Steve

Originally Posted by ford20
Hi Steve,

I'm trying to find a Cobra Jet grill fir a 2012 Mustang and I was wondering if you might have one or have an idea on where to find them.

Thank you,
Sean

So if you guys are looking for a Cobra Jet grill you can just grab the California Special one and you should be good to go!

From what I can tell, the difference is just the finish of the grill and everything else was the same.

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/br3z8200aa?search_str=BR3Z%2A8200%2AAA

Thanks for posting that. The differences are the CJ grille has no chrome and it's been modified by hand to increase airflow. Anyone with a dremel can modify this grille. Look for the grille thread and I have photos of what it looks like.

NFSBOSS said:
Thanks for posting that. The differences are the CJ grille has no chrome and it's been modified by hand to increase airflow. Anyone with a dremel can modify this grille. Look for the grille thread and I have photos of what it looks like.

I saw a post you made a little while ago about having to use a dremel to get the decent shape to it.

I've finished cleaning up the grille and I'm very happy with how it turned up and looks. With that said I have a hard time recommending this grille. I still think it might flow better than the 302S grille but we'll never know for sure. If you're looking for something different you might try the Cobra Jet grille otherwise stick with the 302S grille.

I got it cleaned up pretty well but didn't take it apart like I wanted to. This grille is in three pieces, the white surround, the black bars, and the black inner grille. It's held together with small washer nuts that attach to small pegs and that holds it together (you can see them in the photos). I tried taking the washer nuts off but it looked like I was going to break off the pegs so I backed out of that idea. If I was able to get the grille apart I would have opened it up even more. You can see I removed a fair amount of plastic and then I painted some of it black that was still visible from a side angle. It looks very clean on the car and you'd have to look very close to see anything out of place.

P1030018.jpg
P1030028.jpg
P1030019.jpg
P1030027.jpg
P1030017.jpg
P1030032.jpg
P1030016.jpg
P1030031.jpg
P1030026.jpg

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Hey did a search for grill threads or grills and nothing comes up. I was thinking that some one needs to come up with a radical open grill for track use.
Saw this for 13's and 14's http://www.americanmuscle.com/cdc-performance-grille-2013.html
wonder if they will make one for the 12's.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Roush grill is good. So is Cobra jet. Way better then the stock grill. Roush has 6 bars but this new one has none in the middle and looks like it is funneling air at the radiator.
Just saying as I do not remember seeing this one before.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel