The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cobra Jet Intake and Cams on Boss motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I think there has been at least one BMO member to do this, but I really thought the HP gain was a lot more than 40. Not financially worth it if that's all you gain.

Tulsa, OK
Steveespo did the cobra jet intake on his GT. Not sure about the cams, though... On a GT I would rather do the CJ than the boss. I had the boss for a bit and have since gone back to stock.

JUST DO IT!

I think the numbers from the article represents the horsepower after mods but before tuning....cause i think a stock boss would be below the 433 horsepower to the rear wheels...

Tucson302 said:
I think there has been at least one BMO member to do this, but I really thought the HP gain was a lot more than 40. Not financially worth it if that's all you gain.

i only gained about 35hp.. it was totally worth it. gains across the board and a big toruqe improvement.

the coyote or roadrunner love these cams because they meet 100% durability yet produce more power and torque. idle must be reset from 650 to 750 rpm and reline should go up if you truely maximize the longer exhuast duration.

twistedneck said:
i only gained about 35hp.. it was totally worth it. gains across the board and a big toruqe improvement.

the coyote or roadrunner love these cams because they meet 100% durability yet produce more power and torque. idle must be reset from 650 to 750 rpm and reline should go up if you truely maximize the longer exhuast duration.

Are you saying you installed the cams and kept the Boss intake?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Revisiting this. @twistedneck , do you have any dyno graphs before/after? What was the rest of your setup? Looking for info (other than this article) on a Boss engine, LT headers, CJ intake and cams.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have CJ cams and CJ intake plus ARH longtubes on a 2016 Gen 2 Coyote. Haven't tuned or installed it yet but realistically should make about 480 to the tires, maybe a bit more. Gen 1 with stock cams and the rest made 440 and the '16 motor with stock Gen 2 cams and GT350 manifold made 455. CJ cams have longer duration but same lift as Gen 2 '15-'17 cams so torque and power curves will get pushed up to the mid 5000-5500/7300-7500 ranges.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Good. Keep the info coming. I'm looking for some dyno graphs, once they become available. Again--looking for fresh/recent stuff or from trusted members (such as yourself) here.

Also interested to see what the torque curve looks like w/ those cams. Understand they are for top-end power more than low end but would like the graphs...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I guess this would basically be the same thing as the 5.0 Aluminator XS setup that is supposedly good for 525-530hp at the crank (probably about 475 WHP peak) if I were to add the cams to my existing engine.

On my 2013 Boss, I had the ARH 1-7/8" Catted LT Headers, RTR Mufflers, CobraJet Intake, Twin 65MM TB and Ford Racing CAI with stock cams. Here is my dyno chart from that setup. First baseline is with the LTH, Second is with the CobraJet Intake and last is with the Mufflers. It was my understanding the Ford Racing cams did not add that much over the stock cams, so I left the cams alone.
Hope this helps.

CJ Dyno Data_Page 1_Crop.jpg
CJ Dyno Data_Page 2_Crop.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Good reference point, for sure. Mainly looking to find that same data but also with the cams.

For further reference, here is my dyno before/after updating to the CJ intake setup.
Purple: Aluminator shortblock, Boss heads/cams/valvesprings, 1.75" Kooks LTs, stock Boss intake and airbox.
Green: Same setup w/ CJ Intake and VMP twin 67mm TB.

l3kvqvu.png

Hoping to see some further info for "Green" + CJ cams, if someone has it.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Good. Keep the info coming. I'm looking for some dyno graphs, once they become available. Again--looking for fresh/recent stuff or from trusted members (such as yourself) here.

Also interested to see what the torque curve looks like w/ those cams. Understand they are for top-end power more than low end but would like the graphs...

As soon as I get them will post it up. Like I said pushes the Torque peak up so since HP is Torque x Speed the higher the peak the higher the max HPs. That low end Torque at 3000 rpm really does nothing much for us on track. If you are below 4000 rpm then you are just being lazy. For drag racers it a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew,

My car made 460 rwhp with just the CJ intake, CAI, twin 65mm throttle body, and Kooks long tubes, no Cats, and a conservative tune that has more fuel and less timing than the track key. Stock GT350s make around 455 - 460 on the same dyno.

I think our cars make comparable power and the power difference is a result of them being run on different dynometers.

I am not sure if the CJ cams are worth the money. I think it is how much you really want another 10 -15 horse power.

You might take a look at the new cams Comp released in early 2016. They have more duration and lift. I'm not sure if you can find a tuner who can limiters and fully utilize the VCT. I know several tuners are able to set the earlier XFI grinds up without limiters.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Steve(s): Yeah--I'm trying to weigh the benefit vs. cost; although cams are one of the final things that we can really do on these engines, where we are now. I will look at the Comp Cams article although I highly favor OEM/FPRP stuff.

TMO Supporting Vendors