The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cobra Jet Intake and Cams on Boss motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you cannot find a tuner that can retain full VCT functions, I would use the CJ cams. The dyno graphs in the article clearly show a power loss below 5,200 rpm.

I completely understand the desire for Ford OEM quality.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
A couple guys on Facebook have reported issues with Comp Cams having cam journal machining issues that ruined head castings. I know its FB but I like to use FPRP or OEM Ford as much as possible. Horsepower differences can be explained by atmospheric conditions too, Drew you are at altitude Steve and I are both at dead Sea level. Even with correction factors good air will show better numbers over bad air.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Some context: I'm not interested in building the "world's most powerful Roadrunner" or anything like that.
NASA is contemplating adding data points to their "Average HP" calculation next year (using 6 data points for averaging instead of the current 4 points).

I currently have an average RWHP max of 436.
With the current setup, my actual average RWHP is 432 (a small but comfortable cushion).

If NASA changes to 6 points for average, the average will start to include power at RPM points even earlier in the HP curve (ie: lower), which will lower my average HP to around 414, with a limit still being 436 at my current weight--so I can add around 20 WHP. Other cars will be looking to close these same gaps as well, if they are smart--otherwise they are leaving something on the table for classing.

I can even update my minimum weight to 3450 and buy more margin if the gains are more than 20 WHP.

At any rate, it's all about maximizing performance potential within the rules. I don't think there is a great ROI here but it's one of the last things that can be done for power, and to make the car much lighter starts to get prohibitively expensive fast (carbon doors, etc).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Steve: Yes, it is a bit of a BoP; gives advantage to cars with more "natural" power curves. Mainly put in effect to reduce the advantage of cars with throttle-blade-closure tunes (that result in a flat power curve for 80% of the rev range).

As far as minimum weight, yes, it's with driver (and whatever fuel load you think you will have post-session). You are required to equal or exceed that minimum weight at impound directly following a race or TT session.

At my last race I weighed in at 3480 post-race, but I have seen the car as low as 3430 (without cool shirt, less fuel, pooped before race?). Once the Magnum XL goes in I hear the car will be roughly 50lbs heavier, too :-/

Understanding what you are after and the rules, the CJ cams become a pretty obvious choice. With full 50 degrees of VCT control, you'll retain your low and mid range and get the gains you are after for your average power numbers.

My 2012 Boss is 95% track car, 5% street. It’s putting down 432 rwhp with Kooks LTH, Airraid CAI, Bama tune, 3.92 effective gear ratio. I want to upgrade the cams, but would like to keep the Boss IM. Thinking of having the Boss IM ported, upgrade to a FRPP 90 mm throttle body, upgrade cams. Considering the CJ cams or Comp Cams stage 3. Even though the Comp Cams come with a phase limiter, I’ve been told that a knowledgeable tuner can tune for low end and high end and not use the limiter. Probably should ask Shaun at AED. Anyone have a ported Boss IM, 90 mm TB and aggressive cams? I have considered the CJ intake and a 2018 GT IM, but am fond of the Boss IM. Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
My 2012 Boss is 95% track car, 5% street. It’s putting down 432 rwhp with Kooks LTH, Airraid CAI, Bama tune, 3.92 effective gear ratio. I want to upgrade the cams, but would like to keep the Boss IM. Thinking of having the Boss IM ported, upgrade to a FRPP 90 mm throttle body, upgrade cams. Considering the CJ cams or Comp Cams stage 3. Even though the Comp Cams come with a phase limiter, I’ve been told that a knowledgeable tuner can tune for low end and high end and not use the limiter. Probably should ask Shaun at AED. Anyone have a ported Boss IM, 90 mm TB and aggressive cams? I have considered the CJ intake and a 2018 GT IM, but am fond of the Boss IM. Any thoughts or advice is welcome.
If you're doing cams on a Boss I'd duplicate my setup and just get the L&M Intake-Only cam set (retain factory exhaust cams). Add the CJ intake to that. My tune from Shaun @ AED with that setup (and headers, like you) was good for 468 to the tire and no loss of torque anywhere. There are dyno graphs somewhere in the last 20 pages of my build thread, lol

If you're doing cams on a Boss I'd duplicate my setup and just get the L&M Intake-Only cam set (retain factory exhaust cams). Add the CJ intake to that. My tune from Shaun @ AED with that setup (and headers, like you) was good for 468 to the tire and no loss of torque anywhere. There are dyno graphs somewhere in the last 20 pages of my build thread, lol
I see your dyno graphs in this thread, but before cams. Could the graphs with the L&M cams be in a different thread? Thanks.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I see your dyno graphs in this thread, but before cams. Could the graphs with the L&M cams be in a different thread? Thanks.

TMO Supporting Vendors