The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cobra Jet Intake on a 3v?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Kicking around ideas, would a Cobra Jet cold air intake for a second-gen S197 bolt up to a 3v with the Ford Performance throttle body and relocating the power steering reservoir? Not the entire manifold, obviously, but just the intake. Looking at the description, Ford says the intake is compatible with the 2007-2014 GT500 throttle body (part number M-9926-MSVT). That throttle body is compatible with the 3v manifold with an adapter plate. I know the 2010 GT 3v has the power steering reservoir in a different location. Can that be done to an earlier 3v in order to fit the Cobra Jet intake? I wonder if there'd be any gains to be had there over, say, the Bullitt intake.

no ones responded to this so i'll chime in. you wont see a large enough gain to justify the expense of this. im running a bored out 300 CI stroker 4.6L 3v 7200RPM, 430rwhp N/A. i use ford racings larger throttle body(i think twin 62mm but i cant remember) and a JLT series 3 intake. my engine is about as extreme as you can get a 3v without stepping into sleeving the block. you wont pull anywhere near the amount of air my engine does and the jlt still provides more then enough flow. you'd honestly be better of saving your money and going to a supercharger. youll make the same amount of horsepower as my setup and MORE TORQUE.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Thanks. Not interested in supercharging, don't feel like screwing around with the added weight and cooling for a car that is primarily a track toy. Too many added variables for me. I'll let guys like @Boone and @Fabman show us how that's done :) I had the JLT intake and switched to the Ford Racing one anyways, was just curious if the Cobra Jet intake was another step up.

TMO Supporting Vendors