The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CobraJet 1400

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I love the idea of an electric Mustang (one that is a coupe, of course). I legitimately think that there would be a distinct market for an EV Mustang that shares the same general appearance as the gas powered variant.

So while I’m not a drag racing guy by any means, the fact that Ford is experimenting with this technology, in a Mustang that looks like a Mustang, is very exciting.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Tony Stewart is out here in SoCal taking the CobraJet 1400 for a whip. 8.2 @ 169 last night, had to pedal his run tonight.

AFEC7F59-43A6-4F9D-943D-BC7AE62A9C07.jpeg

BE4EDC6E-5A08-483B-95AE-88916A0FAD5D.jpeg
608C4AA6-5EDB-410B-919A-BA15D04ABB5F.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
This is all I can think of.
View attachment 67281
Haha!! When we first walked up to it, one of the guys with me said “Great Scot!!”

I didn’t realize the car was built by a race shop in Washington state - MLe Race Cars. It was really interesting talking to one of the shop owners (last name is Lane, don’t recall his first name). One of the things I was wondering is why this car is running ET’s fairly close to the gas powered CobraJets when it has 1400hp. It’s all about the weight. This car weighs just over 5,000 lbs from 4 electric motors and batteries stashed in every square inch. Carbon doors, roof, trunk, hood and still weighs 5 large!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
This car weighs just over 5,000 lbs from 4 electric motors and batteries stashed in every square inch.
Where we're going, we don't need... no hold on a sec, we still we need it to weigh less.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool promotional piece and impressive engineering. Maybe drag racing will be the big arena for EVs for a while as the engineers work on ways to make the technology lighter and more applicable to road course use/competition.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
My only thought is it has to be a packaging nightmare. Even though this is a one off build to promote EV, I'm guessing they wanted to keep the original bodywork and shape of the ICE powered car, along with RWD so more car enthusiasts would make the connection.

"Ford's e-CJ develops upwards of 1,502 rear-wheel horsepower with four Cascadia Motion PN-250-DZR inverters coupled to a pair of DS-250-115s, providing four motors that spin up to 10,000 rpm. These motor-inverter packages run at 800 volts and up to 700 amps, with maximum output of 350 kW per motor and produce over 1,100 lb-ft of torque. Power is transferred to a 1-to-1 SCS gearbox that connects the top and bottom motor stacks to provide a single drive output to the T400 three-speed transmission. Battery power comes from three BMS battery packs with 60-kWh capacity."
Electric Mustang Cobra Jet 1400 Runs 8.12 at 171 mph

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
If the horsepower/torque is linear, why do you need a trans? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?
Electric motors have a more linear horsepower and torque curve than ICE engines, however they still have an optimum range of RPM so the gearbox is here to maximize that potential and get the best times possible on the dragstrip. It's not there "because a CobraJet has one and we kept it..."

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Electric motors have a more linear horsepower and torque curve than ICE engines, however they still have an optimum range of RPM so the gearbox is here to maximize that potential and get the best times possible on the dragstrip. It's not there "because a CobraJet has one and we kept it..."
Interesting, I didn't realize that.

TMO Supporting Vendors