The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coil connector repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Thought I would share this, as I’m sure everyone with a Coyote will eventually have issues with the OE coil connectors getting brittle and cracking with normal maintenance. I had 2 of mine break during reassembly, and I couldn’t find any good info on how to make a repair. The aftermarket and OE replacements are a pigtail harness, which are both high priced and overly complex. They lead you towards cutting the factory harness and soldering the pigtails in. These connectors I found on Amazon were the ticket. No cutting the factory harness, and they’re less than $10/ea. Had both replaced in less than 15 minutes and I would say the quality is on par with the OE ones. Here’s a pic of the exploded view for reference, along with the package so you can search easier on Amazon. Grab a couple for your pit box - you’ll thank me later!

C55D7E20-FDBB-4B05-B3D3-73FB2A9027BB.jpeg
https://www.amazon.com/Aokus-Igniti...5-3fc7933615e8&ref_=pd_gwm_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Did you "depin" and reuse the original pins, or cut them off and crimp on the new ones?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Did you "depin" and reuse the original pins, or cut them off and crimp on the new ones?
I just depinned and reused the original pins. They’re retained with a plastic tab inside the connector, so the flex required to release them is in the connector housing itself and not the metal pin. The originals looked perfect so I left well enough alone and snapped them into the new housing. Replacement pins will go in the spares box with a couple extra connectors.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Have done this exact thing. Having the right tools to remove the pins made it easier to do. Good advise to have a few spares lying around.

@67GTA this was a really helpful post, thank you.

Here is a good video showing how to replace just the connector while reusing the original pins:

TMO Supporting Vendors