The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coil-over shocks for time trials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
I am thinking of switching to coil-overs on my 2011 time trials and track day car. It currently has single adjustable KONI sports with Maximum Motorsports road & track springs. The car will need to weigh 3750 lbs. (with driver) to stay in my current class. I am looking at the Cortex Xtreme-Grip™ JRI Double Adjustable Coilover System https://www.cortexracing.com/shop/c...stable-coilover-system-1721?category=16#attr=, the Maximum Motorsports JRi Shocks Suspension Kit https://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-JRi-Shocks-Suspension-Kit-2005-2014-Mustang-P1474.aspx, and the MCS TT2 Internal Double Adjustable Monotube Dampers available through Vorshlag with the GTR spring package (800 lb front, 275 lb rear) https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...tube-dampers-s197-mustang?variant=31173181063. I imagine the Cortex and MM systems are the same or very close since both use the JRI shocks. The MCS system is available with reservoirs, I wonder if they are worth the extra grand. If the MCS package is chosen, I would likely replace the current MM camber plates with the Vorshlag units. There is also a recommendation from Vorshlag to mount the rear springs in the stock locations with adjustable perches if wide tires are being used (315's) to avoid interference with the springs if they were mounted on the shocks. The car is a track car and only sees the street when I fill the gas tank so there is no need to consider streetability. If it matters, the car has a World Challenge front splitter and a Nine Lives Big Wang in the back. I don't have front / rear weights at this time.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any of these options? Are there other choices out there in the same (or lesser) price range (~$5000)?

Thanks.

I made the mistake of getting JRi from not Cortex/MM and was not impressed but most of that was the valving and the oddball mounting setup my particular vendor used.

I went with the MCS from Vorshlag. I did the TT2 with remotes because I have heard rumors in the past that MCS non remote 2 way are problematic. I could not be happier with them, my car behaves amazingly over bumps and on bumpy sites in general. I already had vorshlag CC plates, but having installed/fought with many other brands on various customer cars, I also cannot recommend them enough.

I have also always had a divorced spring setup which clears my 18x12's but I can see where a real coilover would be problematic with big wheels.

DaveW

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
I have cortex JRI on my car. They work pretty good on the track, harsh on street.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Auckland
I am thinking of switching to coil-overs on my 2011 time trials and track day car. It currently has single adjustable KONI sports with Maximum Motorsports road & track springs. The car will need to weigh 3750 lbs. (with driver) to stay in my current class. I am looking at the Cortex Xtreme-Grip™ JRI Double Adjustable Coilover System https://www.cortexracing.com/shop/c...stable-coilover-system-1721?category=16#attr=, the Maximum Motorsports JRi Shocks Suspension Kit https://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-JRi-Shocks-Suspension-Kit-2005-2014-Mustang-P1474.aspx, and the MCS TT2 Internal Double Adjustable Monotube Dampers available through Vorshlag with the GTR spring package (800 lb front, 275 lb rear) https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...tube-dampers-s197-mustang?variant=31173181063IT I imagine the Cortex and MM systems are the same or very close since both use the JRI shocks. The MCS system is available with reservoirs, I wonder if they are worth the extra grand. If the MCS package is chosen, I would likely replace the current MM camber plates with the Vorshlag units. There is also a recommendation from Vorshlag to mount the rear springs in the stock locations with adjustable perches if wide tires are being used (315's) to avoid interference with the springs if they were mounted on the shocks. The car is a track car and only sees the street when I fill the gas tank so there is no need to consider streetability. If it matters, the car has a World Challenge front splitter and a Nine Lives Big Wang in the back. I don't have front / rear weights at this time.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any of these options? Are there other choices out there in the same (or lesser) price range (~$5000)?

Thanks.
I've heard a lot of good things about Cortex and MM. I think it would work best for you too.

I'm a big fan of divorced spring and shocks for street cars. The reason is that all these coil overs will need to be serviced at least every 20K miles. They are far from a fire and forget install. The high zoot Penskes are over $10K, anything decent is at least $5K, and the only major advantage is that it's easier to adjust ride height. IMO you'd be better off with a Ford Performance kit ( or Cortex) of matched parts designed to work together.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I made the mistake of getting JRi from not Cortex/MM and was not impressed but most of that was the valving and the oddball mounting setup my particular vendor used.

I went with the MCS from Vorshlag. I did the TT2 with remotes because I have heard rumors in the past that MCS non remote 2 way are problematic. I could not be happier with them, my car behaves amazingly over bumps and on bumpy sites in general. I already had vorshlag CC plates, but having installed/fought with many other brands on various customer cars, I also cannot recommend them enough.

I have also always had a divorced spring setup which clears my 18x12's but I can see where a real coilover would be problematic with big wheels.

DaveW
How big of spacers do you need to run to fit the 18 x 12's with the MCS remotes?

How big of spacers do you need to run to fit the 18 x 12's with the MCS remotes?
They are +45 wheels with a 26-30mm spacer in front (playing with trackwidth, they will fit with the 26)
They do poke out of the fenders slightly but do not rub.

DaveW

TMO Supporting Vendors