The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coil plug wire tap for TraqDash RPM input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've never worked with anything like that but I wouldn't think it would matter, doesn't it count the pulses going to the spark plug?

In for results since I need to do the same. I was thinking just tap one of the coil packs but then I was told that would give me only 1/8 signal. Don't know if that is true or not.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
It's true if you tap the coil wire it gives 1/8 signal. Traqmate unit allows you to program # of cylinders, also gearing and tires size so it infers by speed what gear you are in. Also has a terminal strip to allow gauge sender signals (0-5v). I set it up last night quickly just to see it work, it is pretty cool. Going to try and tap the coil tonight after work.
Steve

Give Rehagen Racing, Tiger Racing, or Capaldi Racing a call. They will be able to tell you EXACTLY how to properly hook it up.....

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Got it figured out, MSD makes an inductive pickup clip (8918) that you clip on to the + wire of the coil on plug connector. You have a red wire that goes to 12v switched source, black ground and the green is the trigger wire that goes to the rpm lug on the traqmate input adapter. Simple and no cutting of factory wiring. Tested it tonight with a quick hookup and the factory tach and track dash display were synched exactly. Tomorrow and Sunday I plan on doing permanent installation and wiring. Hope to have a synched video to post of a test run.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors