The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

coilover install 'how to'?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/projects/758828-johnny-cash-mustang-project-3.html

Scroll to page 3, more info than you ever wanted on coil overs

I know it's not a Boss, just work around it

patrickshelby said:
Thank you for your answer!
So you do not like them...
What are you having instead? Cortex Koni's?

Actually I enjoyed them a lot. I'm changing to Cortex coilovers for a number of reasons, but not because I don't like my KWs. The Clubsports provided good support for a sticky tire and minimized body motion for track driving. The adjustments actually did something and I fiddled with them extensively and methodically.

The move to Cortex is mostly to address wheel/tire fitment, roll center adjustment (i.e. the Watt's link), and for the company's support. It's very likely that they may be at some track events I go to, and having that tool around is pretty cool.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/projects/758828-johnny-cash-mustang-project-3.html

Scroll to page 3, more info than you ever wanted on coil overs

I know it's not a Boss, just work around it

That turned out great!

neema said:
Actually I enjoyed them a lot. I'm changing to Cortex coilovers for a number of reasons, but not because I don't like my KWs. The Clubsports provided good support for a sticky tire and minimized body motion for track driving. The adjustments actually did something and I fiddled with them extensively and methodically.

The move to Cortex is mostly to address wheel/tire fitment, roll center adjustment (i.e. the Watt's link), and for the company's support. It's very likely that they may be at some track events I go to, and having that tool around is pretty cool.
That makes sense!
If I am to install coil overs, the KW's are the only ones having a legal homologation document for the Boss in my country...
So it's either I get OEM type suspension (Yellow Konis / Bilsteins) or go with KW's
And then ClubSport or V3?
I still drive the car to and from the track and I am a bit afraid of the ClubSport spring rates...

patrickshelby said:
That makes sense!
If I am to install coil overs, the KW's are the only ones having a legal homologation document for the Boss in my country...
So it's either I get OEM type suspension (Yellow Konis / Bilsteins) or go with KW's
And then ClubSport or V3?
I still drive the car to and from the track and I am a bit afraid of the ClubSport spring rates...

This is all subjective, but if you're concerned with spring rates, go with the V3s. They Clubsports are rough for prolonged street driving, and I consider myself very tolerant to noise, vibrations, harshness. The V3s will give you a great start, and if you want better body roll control, go with some adjustable swaybars.

Old topic I know, but no one answered the nut size question: the OEM top nut you need the offset wrench for is a 21mm, looks like you need a 75 degree or more since my cheapo 60 degree 22mm hits the plate. I am running around town looking for one since I only have one day left to get this done!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
WinterSucks said:
Old topic I know, but no one answered the nut size question: the OEM top nut you need the offset wrench for is a 21mm, looks like you need a 75 degree or more since my cheapo 60 degree 22mm hits the plate. I am running around town looking for one since I only have one day left to get this done!

You can also use a 21mm O2 Sensor socket...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel