The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coilover options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Running a 2007 GT with Bilstein shocks and Pedders springs. This is a daily driver and some light track use. I am wanting to upgrade to coilover system. I am looking at Maximum Motorsports JRI coilover kit with stock lowering perches or the Kenny Brown KB-SPEC JRZ RS1 with true rear coilover kit. Looking for which one might be the best, as far as performance and reliability? Also, would there be any noticeable difference in stock location vs true coilover lowering, with the handling, and durability of spring stresses on true coilover?

Not interested in any other coilover systems. Any experience with these setups would be greatly appreciated.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Also, would there be any noticeable difference in stock location vs true coilover lowering, with the handling, and durability of spring stresses on true coilover?
"True" coilover spring mounting location is likely to limit your choice of rear wheel width and tire size.

I was even getting a little interference with 'regular' shock boots running 285/35 tires on 18x11 wheels, and I suspect that coilover springs use up a little more room than the boots did. Shock boots can be trimmed.

Norm

"True" coilover spring mounting location is likely to limit your choice of rear wheel width and tire size.

I was even getting a little interference with 'regular' shock boots running 285/35 tires on 18x11 wheels, and I suspect that coilover springs use up a little more room than the boots did. Shock boots can be trimmed.

Norm

Norm, that isn't necessarily correct. I personally run Cortex "true" rear coilovers with 305/30/19 on 19x11 50mm offset rims, no rubbing. The spring/shock is inverted so it sits inside the rim where it has space.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Norm, that isn't necessarily correct. I personally run Cortex "true" rear coilovers with 305/30/19 on 19x11 50mm offset rims, no rubbing. The spring/shock is inverted so it sits inside the rim where it has space.
Agreed. No issue with the CorteX JRi and Apex 18x11.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I know some are inverted. But Kenny Brown's aren't (I checked).

It's also why I qualified my answer with 'likely'. Chances are, the KBs would be OK with 10" wide rear wheels and a little less tire than you'd typically put on 11".

Norm

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Running MCS dual shocks with dual adjustments ---no issues and there is a reason Vorshlag loves this system. At the Dealer Group I used to work at ( Woodhouse Auto Family ) we did a ton of them on Vipers with unreal success and I am super pleased to report they are just as phenomenal on the Mustang. Kudos to Vorshlag, as I still had contacts with MCS since we did so much business , but they were super helpful to me concerning what they felt was a good spring set-up. In fact they were so helpful I just got the springs and some other items from them. Nice to have a Sponsor willing to help , even when they only thought I needed advice. Makes one want to do business with them when you do need something, and it worked , because I finished out my suspension mods through them.

sfo
I'm racing vorschlag MCS on the S550 and I'm very happy with them. On the S550 the springs are very close to the CVJ boot and will touch and rip them at high speeds around 150. The Vorschalg solution is very offset lower shock mount. These deeply offset mounts are a must.

I know some are inverted. But Kenny Brown's aren't (I checked).

It's also why I qualified my answer with 'likely'. Chances are, the KBs would be OK with 10" wide rear wheels and a little less tire than you'd typically put on 11".

Norm
Gotcha Norm, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like although big tire clearance is not an issue with the Cortex design, it could be with KB. I suspect KB doesn't invert it because the shock adjustment knob is more easily reached and adjusted in the trunk than at the bottom of the assembly. Tradeoffs.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Gotcha Norm, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like although big tire clearance is not an issue with the Cortex design, it could be with KB. I suspect KB doesn't invert it because the shock adjustment knob is more easily reached and adjusted in the trunk than at the bottom of the assembly. Tradeoffs.

They (KB) don’t invert it because it requires different hardware. MM uses a different JRi body/shaft from CorteX, but uses springs in the OEM perches for the clearance.

But you’re right about tradeoffs. I didn’t choose the CorteX setup because I wanted the adjuster accessed between the wheel spokes.

TMO Supporting Vendors