Coilovers for GT350?

Discussion in 'Suspension and Chassis' started by spartan, Jun 7, 2018.

1. spartan

spartan TMO Race

Looking for feedback on coilovers for the GT350.

If or when SACHS offers the same setup they have on the FP350S, that would be a nice option. I see that MCS Motion Control Suspension, Tractive/Coretex and Penske are currently available.

The reason I'm looking is because the Magneride electronics on my car is not working. I realize I will need to figure out the Steering and ABS functions in order to go this route.

2. 8250RPM

8250RPM TMO Addict

Filip at Cortex is your best option. He’s already done GT350’s that originally had magneride.
    If your magneride still isn’t working, something is missing from the system.
    It’s either in the harness, ground, or something that was eliminated.
    Has Capaldi not found anything yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  3. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

I would agree that CorteX will have a very capable offering based on their direct experience with the GT350/S550, especially for a race-focused application.

4. mpaige22

mpaige22 TMO Intermediate

Any Updates on this?

5. spartan

spartan TMO Race

Are used cortex coilovers

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    HRLNKN, VoodooBoss and mpaige22 like this.
  6. mpaige22

Those are purdy! Do they provide you with a solution for the magride?

7. spartan

spartan TMO Race

Several companies offer a system for around $700 to “fool” MR. not sure what I will do yet.

mpaige22 likes this.
  8. mpaige22

Gotcha. I know DSC has a module that works with (not entirely deleting) the computer and AFE makes one for Vette's. I just can't recall anyone posting their experience with any unit afterwards.

9. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

You should be able to fool the magride for a lot less than that. There's a company that makes a set of ballast resistors that replace the magride shocks so the module thinks the shocks are there when they're not. If you're electrically inclined you can buy the right value resistors from an online electronics supply house and just cut the connector off the end of the wiring harness pigtail and solder the resistors across the wires directly. The slightly more challenging problem could be convincing it that the ride height sensors are in place - the front's easy (just install them) but the rear's more challenging if the S550 rear LCA's don't have the mounting points for them.

VoodooBoss and The_Dead_Cow like this.
  10. spartan

spartan TMO Race

@JAJ Please forward the company that makes the resistor. If anyone can tell me what the PN is for the resistors I can install them myself. The ride height sensors may be attached to the rear LCA?

Looking for advice and direction if anyone has insight.

11. the5

the5 TMO Advanced

Contact Max at Xinneering http://www.xineering.com/shocksims.html, he makes them for C7 but should be able to do Gt350 as well.

VoodooBoss and spartan like this.
  12. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

The rear ride height sensors are the topic of this thread:

13. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

Now for part 2 - which wiring harness do you have? Does it have the magride connectors for the shocks, the ride height sensor plugs and the 47-pin monster connector for the magride controller? It'll be easier to answer your question if I know what you're working with.

14. spartan

spartan TMO Race

I have the GT350 harness. It has all the MR connectors.

15. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

Okay great! So, if the brackets are there, then you can just use the OEM GT350 ride height sensors. They won't do anything, but they'll at least enable the controller to work without an error code.

As for the resistors, the plug-in units from xineering should work. There's a cheaper solution - the actual resistors that fake the shocks when the shocks aren't there are available from electronics parts distributors for about $10 each (you need 4). If this track car will never have plug-in magride shocks, and if you know how to solder wires, or you know someone who does (a car stereo installer comes to mind) then they would be a very reliable and effective solution.

The parts I'd use are: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...GAEpiMZZMtbXrIkmrvidB8tHLcYn%2bvCR/nT/Rjl5DY=

They're ruggedized panel mount resistors 1.5 ohms 10 watts that you can mount out of the way in the wheel well. Separate the pair of wires in the harness that normally go to the magride connector on the shock, cut the connector off and solder the loose ends to the terminals on the ends of the resistor. Then heat shrink the exposed wires and use a ring-type zip tie to strap the harness to the chassis so it can't vibrate.

VoodooBoss and spartan like this.
  16. spartan

spartan TMO Race

@JAJ I purchased the 4 resistors from Mouser. THANKS for the info. I did have to replace the ride height compatible GT350 rear LCA with standard LCA so it would work with my coilovers. I'll have to find a way to attach the rear ride height sensors to the standard S550 LCA.

This is terrific information!

17. spartan

spartan TMO Race

Good news: The standard S550 rear LCA’s do have the ride height mounting holes. Keeping the RH sensors should eliminate the code.

Bad news: the holes are not threaded. Will need to tap the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    VoodooBoss likes this.