The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coilovers & Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
TN
2012 Boss 302 NSTU Class
I’m installing Pedders Exteme XA Plus coilover kit and Firehawk Indy 500 tires 255/40 19x9’s up front & 285/35 19x9.5’s in the back.
Has anyone used this set up? If so, your thoughts are welcome

70636825726__311E0156-273D-44F5-A043-7A726C09F50F.jpeg

It is always hard to advice about things you bought already you are yet to install.
Pedders are not the best.is a very cheap brand.
And indy500.are not meant for track usage.(i know reviews are nice on tirerack but usually is about regular guys doing regular things)
There are better combo out there
Multiple option for tires .if you want street tires that u drive to the track with dont go less than max summer tires.
Supercar 3 is a great option.
Supercar 3r fastest but sketchy when cold
Many cheat 200tw (yoko a052 falken .rt660
Nexen nfera etc)
A great tire to learn how to drive and last long is the nt01 nitto. Not the fastest. But consistent and predictable. Only for dry usage.
Hope this help

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
TN
Thank you for your advice. With all the basic research I’ve been able to gather, and there’s a lot out there, this combo seems to be the best with the equipment & funds I have at my disposal. I’m sure I’ll learn more as I get better & more seat time. Any sage advice you send my way, will not fall on deaf ears. Thanks again

Thank you for your advice. With all the basic research I’ve been able to gather, and there’s a lot out there, this combo seems to be the best with the equipment & funds I have at my disposal. I’m sure I’ll learn more as I get better & more seat time. Any sage advice you send my way, will not fall on deaf ears. Thanks again
Anytime. If your experience is limited. I would just start to track the car as it is.
Feel.it ans then improve with her.
Maybe u wait extra 6months and u go better right away.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My best advice is to go with a really solid set of tires and then concentrate on other areas as you get seat time. As Flyhalf noted hard for us to help after you have already made the move, but the good thing is you found TMO , so in the future you will be getting better info and help. Better to save and get one quality set up, than get two mods but both that are inexpensive. No worries, many of us started the same way so you have plenty of company.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I"m guessing NSTU stands for Novice Street Touring U autocross? Like others have said, probably not the best choices; but honestly, as a novice, it's 90% driver and 10% car, so don't worry about it. Do the Pedders come with camber plates for the front struts? If so, try to get -2 to -2.5 degress front camber so as the car rolls in a turn the outside (loaded) tire stands up straighter - it will reduce chewing up the outside shoulders of the tires in turns.

If you haven't gotten the tires yet, I'd go with 265/35 or even squeeze a 275/35 on the front, to better balance the 285's on the rear. With the 255's on the front, I'm afraid the car will have too much understeer to drive aggressively and learn quickly. As opposed to most others here, I'm a big fan of learning car control on cheap, crappy tires. They won't cover up bad habits with too much grip, and you'll develop smooth inputs from the start, which will help you in all motorsports in the future. After a solid year or two when you burn through the cheap tires, then step up to the grippy rubber.

Like I said above, starting out it's 90% driver, and autocross is very much a mental game, so do your course walks until you can draw the course from memory. Take instructors whenever you can, and ask experienced drivers for ride-alongs. Don't be afraid to ask questions - autocrossers are friendly and we want to encourage novices to come back.

Most importantly, have fun!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As you will notice you will get varying opinions and often both can be correct or better for each individual situation. You may notice Dave_W likes learning on cheap, crappy tires and after you use them up getting some grippy stuff. He has plenty of experience and his idea that this promotes smoothness is held by many other long time autocrossers. I am of a different opinion in that I think it delays the time line in learning as I have found few folks on autocrosses or road courses who figure out the grip levels quickly, so my thought process is it helps you get to your potential maybe a year earlier. Am I right or is Dave_W right, you may question, and the answer is we both are. It is up to a newer driver to make the final decision, considering a myriad of his/her reasons, and in the end both situations could be correct.
The best person to give you advice may be a seasoned driver or two at your events, because one other component can be judged by those competing with you. That is to assess what skill level you appear to be at, your competitive nature and what you can ( as you mentioned ) afford. If you are doing super well I would be the first to tell you to get a sticky set of rubber as I feel this always is mod #1. So often folks spend a bunch and tires are last, when they should be your first consideration.
So, remember , TMO will be a great source of information, and you will get plenty of suggestions, and like this one the best answer can be the one that fits your circumstances. Keep asking questions, especially at events and even though I have been playing on road courses or wiggling through cones since 1981, I still find plenty of new data to digest and use on this site.

TMO Supporting Vendors