The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cold air kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evolution has one out with a Line tune and Lethal is working on a build of their PW Boss that they just received but haven't announced what specifically thy are nodding. I think most people are waiting for TracKey before doing many engine mods.

I am waiting on Track Key as well but I really like the Air Raid cold air kit.

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=451-264

I will probably get this one after Track Key comes out.

PTRocks said:
I'll likely just do a K&N filter mod. The stock system can get properly cool air as it is.
I was thinking about this as well and started a thread on the subject a couple of weeks ago. What if any advantages are there to using the K&N filter? My impression from my motorcycles and karts experience is it's a superior filter although with more maintenance. Or is the stock filter adequate and there's no need to bother with the K&N?

2012Boss said:
I have been meaning to ask if anyone has a K&N yet. Been thinking of doing it but wonder if there is any real gain.

From K&N's FAQ
2. What increase in horsepower should I expect from a K&N replacement filter?

K&N direct replacement filters which install into your vehicle's factory air box can provide an increase of between 1 and 4 horsepower. Results will vary depending on your vehicle, driving habits, load on the engine (towing for example), existing air system restriction, and other factors.

PTRocks said:
2012Boss said:
I have been meaning to ask if anyone has a K&N yet. Been thinking of doing it but wonder if there is any real gain.

From K&N's FAQ
2. What increase in horsepower should I expect from a K&N replacement filter?

K&N direct replacement filters which install into your vehicle's factory air box can provide an increase of between 1 and 4 horsepower. Results will vary depending on your vehicle, driving habits, load on the engine (towing for example), existing air system restriction, and other factors.

Now that I've poked around a bit, I came across this. It's essentially a wash with respect to power, so I guess it comes down to economics.

I got the same info when I had my S2000. The local Honda tuner told me the air filter and box were engineered for maximum power. He could have easily sold me a $350 intake, but his integrity prevailed. If you've got money to burn, Steeda has an intake for the Boss for $390. On the 2011 GT, they're claiming a 44hp gain with their intake and tune, and 11.88 sec 1/4 mile.

Chris I don't always trust what the makers say. I had not seen that AFM post and some good info there. I am glad to see they did 5 runs each and not try to show the difference after a run or two. Anyway that just goes to show my waiting to get a KN was a good idea. I think he hit a good point, keeping the stock filter clean, if you replace a dirty one with a KN you see a HP gian but who tests the same car with a clean stock filter. If they did they they might see the result is not worth it.

STIG302 said:
I got the same info when I had my S2000. The local Honda tuner told me the air filter and box were engineered for maximum power. He could have easily sold me a $350 intake, but his integrity prevailed. If you've got money to burn, Steeda has an intake for the Boss for $390. On the 2011 GT, they're claiming a 44hp gain with their intake and tune, and 11.88 sec 1/4 mile.

I have not seen the data on that car, just what they told me. it made 40 HP with the filter and tubes and only added 10 more with the Boss intake. I can say (being a person and not a dyno :D) that car makes a lot of power on the track. I went for a ride in it at Sebring on Sat.

I know everyone wants to maximize the power, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that even if there is a slight increase in hp by going to a K&N over stock will likely be unnoticeable under any conditions. I agree with the statements about economics being the main consideration. If you pay $60 for a K&N and stock paper filters cost, say $20, then the K&N would essentially start to pay for itself after about 35K miles. But then you also have to start figuring in the convenience of pulling and tossing the old filter and just dropping in the new compared to washing and re-oiling the K&N going forward. I really haven't made up my mind which way I'm going to go yet, but at least I have quite some time to think on it before my air filter change is due.

One thing to check is debris. I found after my first track day that I had massive amounts of rubber chunks stuck in the filter. You'll want to pull it periodically if you track the car and knock out the debris.

cloud9 said:
One thing to check is debris. I found after my first track day that I had massive amounts of rubber chunks stuck in the filter. You'll want to pull it periodically if you track the car and knock out the debris.
Are you running the stock paper filter or an aftermarket?

TMO Supporting Vendors