The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cold Weather Track Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What could possibly go wrong?.....we are going to be the first run group out in the morning after at least two days of rain on a very green and cold track, on cold tires.

No stress.....It's not like we're tracking in a brand new Ford GT, lol.
Haha, you finally posted! You cooking an early breakfast so we can stop by on the way to the track? See you Friday morning.

two more axioms for you..
Track follows ambient..with regards to temps, if ambient goes up, so will the track (at a higher rate) when ambient goes down, the track will follow (at a slower rate)
and Joe Aquilante's favorite "nothing good ever happens in the rain"
Fortunately no rain is in the forecast but if the track is wet I'll be watching from the garage.

Ha Ha....you should have been in the first run group out. I was literally getting sideways trying to get up to turn 2 after leaving pit lane. Nothing like lapping Sonoma at 25 mph, lol.

But it turned out to be an epic track day...by our third session the sun had defrosted the track, the surface was getting some rubber down and the cool temps meant good power with no overheating issues.

It was good to see you out there....your car looked incredible.

He does have a good looking GT350! That first session was fun when it was still in the 30's and they had just washed dirt off of the track and a few spots were wet. @TrackAire and I along with a couple other friends were in the first run group out and it was dicey at best. On the first lap our friend in the Ford GT was two cars in front of me and we did a synchronized slide coming out of the carousel. That was fun. The next lap I was coasting through the carousel and still got sideways. Most of us cut that first session short and saved it for another session. Of course there's always that "one guy" and in our group it was a guy in a race prepped first gen NSX that spun. Not sure what race he thought we was going to win. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel