The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coleman Rotors Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
After waiting quite a while for DBA to make the 5000 series 2 piece rotor available again (still on backlog I believe), I decided to look elsewhere for a quality 2 piece rotor. As you guys probably know, there's not much to choose from when it comes to a 2 piece system. Fellow member ChuckP turned me on the Paul Weston of Weston Motorsports (http://www.westonmotorsports.com/ , (888)558-0631 ) who hooked me up with a set of custom made Coleman rotors that have been cryo treated by Diversified Cryogenics. Long story short I'm very happy with the obvious physical quality of the rotors as well a the fitment on the Boss. You can see form the pics these are true 'race quality' pieces. Time will tell as far as performance and longevity, but I am assuming some high marks based on how these were made and treated. Lead time on these delivered is about 2 weeks.

Also, the good news is we've reduced another 6.5 lbs per wheel unsprung weight over the stock rotors in addition to the 10 lbs lost by switching to the Enkei PF-01 wheels.

ColemanFront.jpg

ColemanBack.jpg

I messed up the focus on this shot. If it was better you'd be able to better see the vane design used to aid in cooling.
ColemanSide.jpg

ColemanMounted.jpg

And now for my shameless plug for Pagid pads again (Sorry Gary, Rick, Ron etc, etc ;D ). Here's a pics of a used RS-29 pad front rotor with 9 track days and 37 heat cycles on them. As you can see it looks like they still have about 70% life left in them compared the new new pad on the right. Wear on the stock rotors was also marginal.
PadWear_9days_37_cycles.jpg

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Top hats (cryo treated) were $290 ea. Rotors (cryo treated) were $275 ea. Top hats aren't cheap but the hardware is top shelf and at least you buy that once. Rotor pricing seems more or less in line with the better rotor rings from DBA, etc.

The pad wer looks very good. I have no brand loyalty at this point and when my current Hawk HP+ wear out I'll consider Pagid and PF next.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
One criticism--the competition 2-pc rotor manufacturers use notched bolts that butt up against the tophat face to prevent the bolts from rotating and backing out. That would be ideal here.

Example (Full Tilt Boogie Racing 2-pc rear rotor)

oncar.jpg

How do those pads work on the street? If you even drive your car on the street ;D I am getting too old to be swapping pads all the time, I really like Hawk Blues as a double duty pad but they eat rotors. Not a big deal on my other car at $15/rotor but these are a bit more pricey.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I have used RS-19 and RS-29 compounds on the street for many miles in my Audi and a bit with the Boss and they have been excellent. Very quiet, every once in a while you hear a chirp out of them but rarely. The most important step with Pagid is to bed them in correctly. If you dont and then take them to the track you can get a little glazing on the rotors for a while which will eventually wear off.

ArizonaGT said:
One criticism--the competition 2-pc rotor manufacturers use notched bolts that butt up against the tophat face to prevent the bolts from rotating and backing out. That would be ideal here.

Example (Full Tilt Boogie Racing 2-pc rear rotor)
The DBA 5000 is a competition rotor but they don't use that design. They do us NAS lock nuts (one time use) and bolts. It depends on what kind of hardware they're using to attach them.

TMO Supporting Vendors