The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coleman Rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Have any of you guys used Coleman Rotors? They make them custom for just about any car. I'm done waiting for DBA to decide when they will make more 5000 series for the Boss. The Coleman's are not cheap (at least the top hats aren't, the rotors themselves aren't bad) but they are made in the good 'ol US of A in Menominee, MI and I don't believe there's a big wait on delivery of their product. Cryo treated and supposedly top-notch NASCAR quality.

After looking at their website I wouldn't know where to start. ???

http://www.colemanracing.com/Brakes-C94.aspx

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'm dealing with paul weston at weston motorsports. He sources them through coleman and gets them cryo treated. He's also a friend of ChuckP. A small company but very knowledgeable great customer service.

I have run the flotting Coleman Rotors on my WC car with no problem. The only thing I have found with off brand rotors is to make sure each rotor is from the same batch. The Quality of the steel changes. Replace the hardware with each rotor change. I have also tried the cryo process and as a personal opinion I don't thinkl it is worth the time and money.

I'm pretty happy with the cryo treated Colemans from Weston. Here's one of my fronts after 8 track days using rotor "unfriendly" Hawk pads without brake cooling kit:
100_4545.jpg

I did not bother cryo treating the rears and they still look perfect.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I hsve had good luck with cryo treated vs. Non treated. Cryos have held up longer. Coleman is not a very small company, im sure ill be hsppy with them . I like the fact thst they make them to order, appear to have high quality standards and thrte's no long wait to get them.

My friend used custom made Coleman rotors & hats on his SCCA Trans-Am Mustangs for years & I used them on my Mustang in SCCA GT 1 class with no issues at all. I think you will be happy with them. We used Performance Friction brake pads.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ChuckP said:
I'm pretty happy with the cryo treated Colemans from Weston. Here's one of my fronts after 8 track days using rotor "unfriendly" Hawk pads without brake cooling kit:
100_4545.jpg

Chuck
You should get a brake duct kit, looks like you are cooking that caliper. High temp pads and fluid are great but running that heat without cooling will deteriorate the piston seals quicker. Your anodizing has completely changed color.
Steve

Chuck
You should get a brake duct kit, looks like you are cooking that caliper. High temp pads and fluid are great but running that heat without cooling will deteriorate the piston seals quicker. Your anodizing has completely changed color.
Steve
[/quote]
I've had the kit since last year! Just never installed it. Looks like a real pain-in-the-a$$ to install...cutting fender liners...moving washer bottle, hoses that don't fit etc. etc. However, I've downloaded several install docs from here and other sites so I'm planning to install before I go to VIR at the end of this month. I agree it's must for track use.

ChuckP said:
I've had the kit since last year! Just never installed it. Looks like a real pain-in-the-a$$ to install...cutting fender liners...moving washer bottle, hoses that don't fit etc. etc. However, I've downloaded several install docs from here and other sites so I'm planning to install before I go to VIR at the end of this month. I agree it's must for track use.
It's not that bad just give yourself plenty of time to do it. I had my backing plates cut in advance so that's one thing I'll never have to deal with again.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-how-to/boss-brake-cooling-kit-installation-tips/

steveespo said:
Chuck
Steve

Discolored Brembos are a badge of honor around here, in the Evo community we used to call the red calipers Brownbos because after a few hard track days the paint would change to brown.

ChuckP said:
100_4545.jpg

Wow those look great for 8 days with DTCs. Mine heat check after the first day. Just an FYI, those retaining clips on the two wheels studs are just used for assembly and can be tossed. They won't hurt to leave on either. Maybe you knew that though.

TMO Supporting Vendors