The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

competition manual shifters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cleveland Ohio
Hey guys (and gals!) I have a 2009 mustang GT. Turning it into a streetable track car. I do SCCA AutoX and getting into Time Trails. So I don't do 1/4 mile or roundy-round! My question which shifter would you choose? I'm looking at the Hurst Comp Plus or a shifter from MGW. Asking for advise guidance and suggestions! TIA! Let the opinions FLY!!! Tom

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
There is only one choice for quality derived from experience with our cars.

MGW.

George drives, owns and most importantly Improves Mustangs. Most other manufacturers will eventually copy his design concepts. Quality, second to none.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This a Unanimous choice because George Ciamillo ( MGW owner ) is beyond committed to Mustangs and his attention to detail is beyond reproach. I have known George for over 20 years and the minute a new Mustang comes out he jumps in and purchases one, designing and redesigning his short throw shifter over and over. I know Engineers at each of the Big 3 who swear by his product and have it in their track and street cars. MGW doesn't just view the shifter, work on a computer model redesign, they go beyond by trying it out on their own cars. He continues to make improvements as the models change , and for those that have been to his shop, you feel like you are in a Nascar shop, because you can eat off the floor. The CNC machines in his business are current and since the business began as Maryland Gun Works ( they did Government and name brand armament parts and accessories ) the precision needed for those items, is every bit as necessary in George's mind for cars! They still do things for Glock and other companies, but George's love of fast cars has made his passion his primary business today. You may pay a bit more , but as noted , once you get an MGW short throw shifter you are done. The feel and precision can not be surpassed by any of his competitors.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Every so often you'll see somebody offering up a trade for an MGW, and you'll see exactly zero people biting.
Get one for yourself, and you'll see why.

TMO Supporting Vendors