The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Compression braking added to AED Boss Tunes:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wanted to let you guys know that we finally completed testing on getting proper compression braking for Road Course applications.

It's been in the works for some time, but we have gotten feedback from local racers after multiple track days that it works well. 'Similar' to the Track Key, and FAR more aggressive than our Standard Performance Tunes.

Any AED tuned Boss's can request the update by email and it's no charge to update their Performance tunes to include compression braking, or request a Road Course specific tune (we do a few other things specific to road race).
*If you've gotten a 'Road Course' specific tune in the last 6 months, it's already in there.*

Pretty sure we can do it with the SCJ MonoBlade TB as well, although we've not actually tested that setup on the Road Course *yet*.

-Shaun
www.AEDHP.com

steveespo said:
Shaun
You did the CJ/Monoblade performance tune for me last month. I am willing to Beta test a Road Course tune for it. What do you need from me to update what I have.
Steve

Perfect!
Email me requesting a Road Course specific tune and I will set it up / send it back to you.
Make sure to include your full name and vehicle in the body of the email. I keep all customers in files listed by vehicle year/transmission, then first/last name.

That's great news, thanks for the update.

Tulsa, OK
Shaun got me hooked up with a new road course specific tune and added in the compression braking feature. Will get to test it out on Sunday at Hallett.

Yes, this can be added to the GT calibrations as well. Likely the V6, but I do not tune V6's over email. I'm a Coyote/Roadrunner tuner.

FYI, some have the changes already in their Performance tunes as I implemented the change a few months ago, but was awaiting feedback from those customers that road course till recently.

This is NOT something I do in the GT calibrations unless requested.

This sounds pretty awesome. I have been thinking about doing a full exhaust setup and CAI, but know that I will need a tune. The deciding factor was losing the Red key tune for the track, which has the noticeable compression braking. When I asked a few shops what they could do, none really mentioned that they could do a similar setup. So it has been a no go. I keep hearing good things about AED, but am not so sure about remote tuning. But I may give it a look see. Thanks for the heads up AED.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
He says I already have the engine braking on my tunes...I don't notice it at all. Does do this annoying thing most days where I see the timing dip to -9 and it backfires like a machine gun when I let off the gas. If that is the engine braking I could do with out it. It's so annoying. So so so so annoying. Embarrassing even. I always push in the clutch if I going to lift off of the gas. I asked to have this removed months ago. Was told it's the number 8 cylinder glitch being removed and is just something to deal with. Well it didn't do that back when I first got tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tulsa, OK
Justin said:
He says I already have the engine braking on my tunes...I don't notice it at all. Does do this annoying thing most days where I see the timing dip to -9 and it backfires like a machine gun when I let off the gas. If that is the engine braking I could do with out it. It's so annoying. So so so so annoying. Embarrassing even. I always push in the clutch if I going to lift off of the gas. I asked to have this removed months ago. Was told it's the number 8 cylinder glitch being removed and is just something to deal with. Well it didn't do that back when I first got tunes.

Several tune revisions previous, mine used to backfire like crazy. Since I went back to stock manifold/air box earlier this year it hasn't been poppy at all. I feel your pain though.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Ran the AED road race tune update at Lime Rock park for two days and was very happy with the performance. The compressin braking feature is very similar to the one the Boss track key provides. Allows the nose of the car to stay planted when releasing the brake pedal before you want to roll back into the throttle. Very helpful for me as I transitioned from the left hander to the right handler at No Name straight and then again at the downhill wher I was able to not use any brakes on many laps where my balls allowed :-[ the car was just a little more stable, before I would have to trail brake much more to keep the car on the nose but due to lack of precision on my part and the fact that front wheel traction is compromised because of braking while the wheels are turned it wasn't very fast or comfortable when I got it wrong. Overall very happy with the feature on the track.

As for the rest of the tune, I can't say enough for what Shaun did here. I have what you would think is a mismatch of parts that would hurt drivability and low end performance. Stock GT engine with CJ intake, huge SCJ Monoblade throttle, 1 7/8" long tube headers would appear to not be able to idle, have no low end, and the cams would limit the top end. None of this is close to the truth.

Car idles at 650 rpm, no skips, wandering tach needle or stumble.

Throttle response is crisp without being touchy. I had 3 other tunes which all made good power, but we're very abrupt in lessening or removing Ford torque management feature in the throttle mapping. Shaun has the magic touch here, the resolution on the throttle seem to have gone from 256 bit to 2056 bit. Much easier to feed in throttle on exit without making the car jump sideways, or when you do slide the rear, enough throttle control to enable you to adjust the rotation without losing it all together. Very helpful to lap time.

Low end performance. I usually ran Lime Rock using third gear from the entry to Big Bend all the way to an upshift to midway through no name straight and the up to fifth on main straight about one third of the way. With the CJ setup I only used fourth and fifth. Remember I only have 3.55 gears, but the car pulled so strong from 3800 at entry to turn one and then again from 3700 at the left hander that third gear was not needed to turn fast laps. The gain in horsepower from going to third was offset by the time needed for the additional down and up shift. Big thumbs up for the torque curve with this setup/tune!

Top end performance. The car just pulls, and will keep pulling past my self imposed 7700 rpm redline. Even with my puny GT cams, valves and ports. This is not necessarily Shaun, but rather Ford Racing. Ford has created a great set of parts that work really well at making normally aspirated power. Really world class performance, my car I estimate is making 455-460 rwhp, which would be about 510 advertised, 102 HP per liter NA is world class Ferrari/Porsche and BMW before they stopped making race engines, territory. Eventually I will wear this engine out and replace it with one with better heads (Boss?, 2015+ GT?) and cams, but for now an increase of 4 mph from 127 to 131 on Lime Rock main straight is pretty good.

All in all I'm very happy with the decision to use AED for my tuning needs.
Shaun had many fanboys on the various forums and I thought "what could he do that the other major tuners couldn't" but he showed me;
Attention to detail, before doing a tune Shaun asks what you plan on doing with the car. Others do this but not to the same depth.

Safety- Shaun won't write an email tune without logs, and if he sees an issue won't write until a subsequent log shows its corrected. Ask me how I know, I was frustrated for two weeks, but I found the issue, corrected it and we proceeded.

Thoroughness- Shaun writes a baseline tune and asks you to log it again. He then fine tunes based on this log and sends the revised final. This is as close to having an in shop dyno tune as you can get without being there.

Service- Shaun answers every email and call within 24 hours sometimes within 1 hour! Even on Sundays, he is no nonsense but takes the time to answer even dumb questions. Even this free update, when he posted it I sent my email request to him on Tuesday hoping I would have it by Thursday so it would done for Friday. I had it Tuesday night, and was able to street test it prior to hitting the track. How many other tuners add features to their tunes and then post that a free update to their customers will be available. Bravo.

Performance- I have summarized a bit above but how about OBD II readiness for long tube headers? Shaun makes his tunes work with long tubes and high flow cats to be rear O2 on and OBD II emissions ready. Very important in states where testing is required for inspection.
Idle and part throttle performance, compared to my other tunes AED has it perfect, 650 idle, no bucking in low gears around town and smooth high resolution throttle mapping. This is a sign that Shaun pays attention to detail.
Power is great, I have seen posts on other sites that guy have higher peak numbers with BAMA or Brenspeed, but it's to total power under the curves that equals performance, and reliability. I feel AED gets it here.

Anyway after another steveespo novel, I too am now a Shaun fanboi, you could do a lot worse ;D

Steve

Justin

steveespo said:
Ran the AED road race tune update at Lime Rock park for two days and was very happy with the performance. The compressin braking feature is very similar to the one the Boss track key provides. Allows the nose of the car to stay planted when releasing the brake pedal before you want to roll back into the throttle. Very helpful for me as I transitioned from the left hander to the right handler at No Name straight and then again at the downhill wher I was able to not use any brakes on many laps where my balls allowed :-[ the car was just a little more stable, before I would have to trail brake much more to keep the car on the nose but due to lack of precision on my part and the fact that front wheel traction is compromised because of braking while the wheels are turned it wasn't very fast or comfortable when I got it wrong. Overall very happy with the feature on the track.

As for the rest of the tune, I can't say enough for what Shaun did here. I have what you would think is a mismatch of parts that would hurt drivability and low end performance. Stock GT engine with CJ intake, huge SCJ Monoblade throttle, 1 7/8" long tube headers would appear to not be able to idle, have no low end, and the cams would limit the top end. None of this is close to the truth.

Car idles at 650 rpm, no skips, wandering tach needle or stumble.

Throttle response is crisp without being touchy. I had 3 other tunes which all made good power, but we're very abrupt in lessening or removing Ford torque management feature in the throttle mapping. Shaun has the magic touch here, the resolution on the throttle seem to have gone from 256 bit to 2056 bit. Much easier to feed in throttle on exit without making the car jump sideways, or when you do slide the rear, enough throttle control to enable you to adjust the rotation without losing it all together. Very helpful to lap time.

Low end performance. I usually ran Lime Rock using third gear from the entry to Big Bend all the way to an upshift to midway through no name straight and the up to fifth on main straight about one third of the way. With the CJ setup I only used fourth and fifth. Remember I only have 3.55 gears, but the car pulled so strong from 3800 at entry to turn one and then again from 3700 at the left hander that third gear was not needed to turn fast laps. The gain in horsepower from going to third was offset by the time needed for the additional down and up shift. Big thumbs up for the torque curve with this setup/tune!

Top end performance. The car just pulls, and will keep pulling past my self imposed 7700 rpm redline. Even with my puny GT cams, valves and ports. This is not necessarily Shaun, but rather Ford Racing. Ford has created a great set of parts that work really well at making normally aspirated power. Really world class performance, my car I estimate is making 455-460 rwhp, which would be about 510 advertised, 102 HP per liter NA is world class Ferrari/Porsche and BMW before they stopped making race engines, territory. Eventually I will wear this engine out and replace it with one with better heads (Boss?, 2015+ GT?) and cams, but for now an increase of 4 mph from 127 to 131 on Lime Rock main straight is pretty good.

All in all I'm very happy with the decision to use AED for my tuning needs.
Shaun had many fanboys on the various forums and I thought "what could he do that the other major tuners couldn't" but he showed me;
Attention to detail, before doing a tune Shaun asks what you plan on doing with the car. Others do this but not to the same depth.

Safety- Shaun won't write an email tune without logs, and if he sees an issue won't write until a subsequent log shows its corrected. Ask me how I know, I was frustrated for two weeks, but I found the issue, corrected it and we proceeded.

Thoroughness- Shaun writes a baseline tune and asks you to log it again. He then fine tunes based on this log and sends the revised final. This is as close to having an in shop dyno tune as you can get without being there.

Service- Shaun answers every email and call within 24 hours sometimes within 1 hour! Even on Sundays, he is no nonsense but takes the time to answer even dumb questions. Even this free update, when he posted it I sent my email request to him on Tuesday hoping I would have it by Thursday so it would done for Friday. I had it Tuesday night, and was able to street test it prior to hitting the track. How many other tuners add features to their tunes and then post that a free update to their customers will be available. Bravo.

Performance- I have summarized a bit above but how about OBD II readiness for long tube headers? Shaun makes his tunes work with long tubes and high flow cats to be rear O2 on and OBD II emissions ready. Very important in states where testing is required for inspection.
Idle and part throttle performance, compared to my other tunes AED has it perfect, 650 idle, no bucking in low gears around town and smooth high resolution throttle mapping. This is a sign that Shaun pays attention to detail.
Power is great, I have seen posts on other sites that guy have higher peak numbers with BAMA or Brenspeed, but it's to total power under the curves that equals performance, and reliability. I feel AED gets it here.

Anyway after another steveespo novel, I too am now a Shaun fanboi, you could do a lot worse ;D

Steve
hmm I am going to take logs of mine and send them cause I'm tired of the that's normal answer. I can see the timing advance is wrong off throttle. -9 back firing like a machine gun?

One question about the order of applying Track Key and an AED tune:

Will having an AED tune prevent a dealer from programming the Track Key (flashed back to stock first)? If yes, is it the actual programming or just policy? I know I can get the Track Key and then a tune. Just not sure about the other way around and I would rather just spend money on the AED tune right now.

WinterSucks said:

Will having an AED tune prevent a dealer from programming the Track Key (flashed back to stock first)? If yes, is it the actual programming or just policy? I know I can get the Track Key and then a tune. Just not sure about the other way around and I would rather just spend money on the AED tune right now.

Thats a good question....In for an answer.

Justin

WinterSucks said:

you can get a tune. Revert to stock and go in and get a trackey tune. So long as you got stock parts

TMO Supporting Vendors