The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

concerned about current suspension setup/ sway bar question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so i haven't been to an open track event in a few years and have the first track day scheduled for the 28th. ive made several rather large changes to the cars setup recently...most notably the installation of rear fender flares and 345/30r19 pilot super sports in the rear. in short it feels like ive nearly doubled my rear grip. i can do rolling pulls in 1st with nearly little tire slip, at 430rwhp no less.

the current setup is:
Koni single adjustable yellows
H&R race springs
Adjustable BMR upper and solid lower control arms
FRPP "blue" front sway bar part of M-5490-A kit (factory equipment on shelby GTs)
fayse2 watts link
NO rear sway bar

previously the car was very neutral and i could throttle steer in turns easily but i was also running 275mm Nt05s at the time...not a very sticky tire. with the 345 MPSS on the rear and 275 nexen sur4gs. Am i gimping myself not running a RSB????? would i benefit from putting the frpp 'Blue' bar M-5490-AR sway bar back on? i know this is a hard question to answer, i unfortunately haven't had a lot of track time with this setup since i only got the new engine running last year and have only run SCCA events with it(PRIOR to the huge rear tires being installed)

before some one asks...im planning on redoing most of it at the end of the year when i go to coil overs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
The balance will definitely be different with so much more tire on the rear, and although the compounds are different my gut instinct with such a staggered fitment is that you will benefit from the RSB.
However, it also depends on your spring, damper, and FSB settings, as well as your driving style.
It doesn't take long to bolt on an RSB so it couldn't hurt to try it as is for a session or 2 and then add the RSB between sessions if the understeer is too bad and you don't want to take away front grip.

i cant argue with your logic, im still learning about balancing cars so im gonna go pickup hardware and install the bar this weekend.....i lost the original hardware when i moved. ill run a session or two then yank it off for a run.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Are you making mega huge power or something? Because typically these cars need more front grip than rear due to all the weight living up there. Even with square 305's on stock-ish horsepower they still need help up front, not at the rear. At least that's my experience.

throw a rear bar in the trunk, just in case...not sure about those springs..about 600 front 350 rear should be a good place to start. Whatever you do don't get rid of the "blue" bar...that is the go to bar for all s197s along with an 18mm rear bar, or no bar.
not sure what a watts will do to that, but when you put a panhard bar back on that will be a decent setup.
you can make major changes to your roll center with that watts, I forget which way to go because no one I know uses one.

Are you making mega huge power or something? Because typically these cars need more front grip than rear due to all the weight living up there. Even with square 305's on stock-ish horsepower they still need help up front, not at the rear. At least that's my experience.

mega powers in the future. I’m halfway through widening the whole car. Aiming for 325-345mm on the front. Can’t do that till I go to coil overs though.

Will make sure not to get rid of the blue bar. I wish I had known the 18mm was the go to for the rear. Was at the junk yard last week could have yanked one from a convertible.

gonna take a bunch of tools with me and mess with the setup at The track.

coil overs....IMO they are over rated for 99% of us, and they will require rebuilding about every 20K street miles, more if tracked, and good coil overs are north of $5K..really good ones way north of that.

TMO Supporting Vendors