The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

concerns with a car that has been sitting 6+ months?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had a deal inked that fell through on a dealer error, after that we couldnt get to an acceptable price. I am still in the hunt, and found a car with a great price, but it has been sitting since august (hence the great price).

They say it has been in the showroom the whole time, but really no way to prove that. What are some concerns i should be thinking about? Its been sitting so long the battery is dead. They have already drilled the bumper for a plate (which sucks). I have concerns it might already have some wear and tear from 6 months in a showroom (everyone wants to sit in the boss right)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The car is a few hundred miles away, so a quick peek isnt really an option.

Thanks!

How many miles are on the car? Regardless it will be under warranty so as long as there's no cosmetic issues I wouldn't worry too much about it. Pass Go and collect your Boss!

NFSBOSS said:
How many miles are on the car? Regardless it will be under warranty so as long as there's no cosmetic issues I wouldn't worry too much about it. Pass Go and collect your Boss!

currently about 25. dealer was matter of fact that it had been on 2-3 test drives. They thought they had sold it, but had a hiccup with financing.

im bummed about the bumper...really dont want those holes in there...

First Congrats on finding a deal on a Boss!

The dealers should always maintain the battery, so this shouldn't be an issue.
1.) I would look at the bottom seat panel to ensure that it has not started to fray if they are Recaro. The Recaro material is prone to do so and if customers have been in and out of the car, this might be an issue.
2.) I would also look for any bubbling paint just under the master cylinder. Numerous bosses master cylinders have been overfilled and leaked on the inner fender well, bubbling the paint in the process.
3.) Insist the car is cleaned and then take a clean soft cloth and go over the body. The only way I seem to find any paint defects or deep scratches is after the car is home and I'm washing it. By then, it's your word against the dealers.
4.) Get the Track Key Programmed! Maybe you can get them to throw it in for Free.
5.) If you find any issues that need to be fixed by the dealer, either get them to fix it before you take delivery, or get it in writing. Once you drive off the lot, all the sales people seem to come down with amnesia.
6.) Start exercising your face muscles. Depending on the length of the drive home, the continuous smile you will have when driving it may make your face muscles sore! :)

wwilde001 said:

1.) I would look at the bottom seat panel to ensure that it has not started to fray if they are Recaro. The Recaro material is prone to do so and if customers have been in and out of the car, this might be an issue.
2.) I would also look for any bubbling paint just under the master cylinder. Numerous bosses master cylinders have been overfilled and leaked on the inner fender well, bubbling the paint in the process.
3.) Insist the car is cleaned and then take a clean soft cloth and go over the body. The only way I seem to find any paint defects or deep scratches is after the car is home and I'm washing it. By then, it's your word against the dealers.
4.) Get the Track Key Programmed! Maybe you can get them to throw it in for Free.
5.) If you find any issues that need to be fixed by the dealer, either get them to fix it before you take delivery, or get it in writing. Once you drive off the lot, all the sales people seem to come down with amnesia.
6.) Start exercising your face muscles. Depending on the length of the drive home, the continuous smile you will have when driving it may make your face muscles sore! :)

all good points and ideas, thanks. ill keep working the deal...well see what we get to.

Since you pointed it out, even if it was a VERY good deal, I'd have a hard time signing for a Boss with the front bumper drilled for a plate as it would always bug me. Even if your state requires a front plate, there are a lot of options for 'hidden' plate mounts.

There's still a LOT of Bosses sitting on dealer lots, so you may be able to find what you want by expanding your search?

Batteries are killer good when new. If it was dead they were letting it sit waiting for DMU. Make your deal first and look for any little signs of people buts or other were after the deal. Ask for Track key, new battery, and free oil changes at MSRP. Give up on whatever is not important to you while doing the deal. Do not be fair they are trained not to be. Start with MSRP and a few extras you are willing to pass on. The art of the deal in thier little brains is doing you out of something or no deal. Start strong ( a huge down and good credit scream in thier tiny brains). You have to ask for something that you will give up to make them think that they have won. Sounds basic and childish but is the way they think. Make the deal sign the papers and only then before they move the car off the showroom floor go over it with a fine tooth comb. Demand any problems be fixed before delivery. If they bawlk on something you have to decide right then if it is important. Any thing to be done latter write by hand onto the contract, all copies ( again buy hand if nessesary do not trust). After signing the deal and before delivery you are in charge. At this time you are done with the Killer Sharks and dealing with the underlings unless the car has a big problem or you get to cocky. If all goes well dive away in the best deal in performance cars in a very long time. Always be willing to walk away in your heart not your plan, they can tell.

wwilde001 said:

All good points, except I wouldn't request that the dealer wash it. I've seen the crap they give the lot boys to wash cars and unless you want fine swirl marks in your paint, I would just do it yourself when you get it.

Also most of the showroom Bosses I have seen have big "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH" signs in them, so I doubt a lot if people have been test sitting in it. The positive is that its been out of the elements too.

I got my Boss on Jan 1, it had been sitting on a showroom floor since July 20. The only issue is the tires were flat spotted a little. I have about 500 miles on it and all is well now. Pirelli's are known for flat spotting if the car sits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GA
stunya said:
all good points and ideas, thanks. ill keep working the deal...well see what we get to.

No matter how long the car has been sitting as long as you are the first person to title the car the full warranty clock will not start until you drive it off the lot. Good luck on the hunt.

TMO Supporting Vendors