The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Confused on Ford springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
I am trying to sort thru the massive amount of info on here about springs, and it has brought me to this question. We have L, KA, PA (P spring shows as discontinued). Consensus here seems to be that for a multi use Street/Autocross/4 day year track event car, P springs are a solid answer, however I'm having problems with getting them (current PA) in stock.

So here is the question - I can get the L springs, listed as "2007-2014 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 SPRINGS". They state a 1.25" drop vice the 1" drop for the PA springs. What is the effective difference between the KA and PA spring, and for a majority street with 4 track days a year, should I wait for stock on the PA spring?

The L springs were designed for the much heavier engine in the GT500 so would probably ride too high in the front I would guess?

I had experience with Steeda Ultralites, P springs, and Ks at different times on my Bosses. Ps were THE BEST by far. Nicely lowered ride height without being stupid low, sharper handling, still rode well. The other 2 I would never recommend to anyone.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I don't have any experience with the Ford Performance springs. I have run two different sets of Steeda springs the Sports and the Competition models. Their Ultra Lights are too soft for track use. The Sports are popular for a reason, they are decent on the track without being too harsh on the street. The ride is firm but not harsh. The Competitions are a little stiffer, but not too harsh on the street for me. Some may find them a little too firm for street use.

How do the Ford P springs compare to the BMR Handling Spring set (SP065)? I am running these but have not run anything else so I am looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance.
From the BMR website:
"BMR has designed the SP065 for the handling crowd who regularly use their cars on the road course or for autocross. These springs will drop your S197 Mustang 1.5-inches and feature a fine-tuned spring rate to give you great handling and a smooth ride. The 240 lb/inch front linear spring rates offer plenty of support, keeping the body flat and level in the corners. The 200 lb/inch rear dual-rate spring decreases body roll and gives you a lower center of gravity for increased driver control in aggressive cornering situations."

FYI here is a good resource:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
How do the Ford P springs compare to the BMR Handling Spring set (SP065)? I am running these but have not run anything else so I am looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance.
From the BMR website:
"BMR has designed the SP065 for the handling crowd who regularly use their cars on the road course or for autocross. These springs will drop your S197 Mustang 1.5-inches and feature a fine-tuned spring rate to give you great handling and a smooth ride. The 240 lb/inch front linear spring rates offer plenty of support, keeping the body flat and level in the corners. The 200 lb/inch rear dual-rate spring decreases body roll and gives you a lower center of gravity for increased driver control in aggressive cornering situations."
To be honest, one of the reason I went with coilovers in the end, was the fact that over 1 inch of drop is some times too much! 1.5" up front would be great to have parked outside the coffee shop and looking "cool", but it will not make the car go any faster (maybe even slower). No to mention speed bumps and drive ways etc.

If you do go with such a big drop do not forget the LCA's and relo brackets to get things back in line. Not to mention new shocks!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
FYI here is a good resource:

I had gone though that post, but noticed the part number change from a P spring to PA, given that the original "P" spring is discontinued. My assumption is that the P spring values in that chart wouldn't necessarily apply to the newer PA part number. Who knows?

TMO Supporting Vendors