The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Confused Stability Control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I did a track day at Homestead Miami Speedway last weekend on the road course. The track was damp for the first session and the advanced group ran the configuration with one end of the banked oval. I normally turn the stability control completely off and just use the ABS. During the first session, the yaw sensor threw an error and turned stability and traction off. I read the code - yaw sensor error - reset it and then turned stability off for the next sessions.

Every single session the error returned after 2-3 laps. No matter, it was already off. It seems the stability control cannot deal with banking, or at least not the 18-20 degree banking in the turns and the 3 degree banking on the straights at Homestead.

I am curious, has anyone else experienced this and at what tracks?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This seems to be a common problem on S197s running on banked tracks. To my knowledge, the only known fix is the 302R/S ABS controller, but that has other complications if you are using the car as a DD. There are a few threads here regarding this topic to pore through.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I had the the same problem all the time... The dam TC would come after being turned off when ever I pushed the car to the limit... very Fustrating... Shaun at AED took it off in my Track tune and I have never had it back.... even when having fun in the rain ;).

This seems to be a common problem on S197s running on banked tracks. To my knowledge, the only known fix is the 302R/S ABS controller, but that has other complications if you are using the car as a DD. There are a few threads here regarding this topic to pore through.

Not so much looking for a fix as confirmation, I guess, since I run with it off, anyway. It doesn't pose a problem, just a curious light display on the dash.

I had the the same problem all the time... The dam TC would come after being turned off when ever I pushed the car to the limit... very Fustrating... Shaun at AED took it off in my Track tune and I have never had it back.... even when having fun in the rain ;).

Now that ones seems to be another problem I experienced. I used to run an 11 lb starter battery for weight savings. I'd turn off TC and stability before entering the track and the system work turn itself back on mid-turn somewhere. I'd pull through the pits, stop and turn it back off. sometimes this would repeat, other times not. Pulling the fuse would kill the ABS as well. Not a good solution as I want ABS.

The solution was returning to a full size battery. My theory is that the electric power steering draws more peak current than the alternator and my 11 lb battery could provide and reset the ABS computer to default ON. In any even a full size battery solved it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It happens to almost all the tracked mustangs I know once they have gone to Slicks. With stock or track batteries... the more you push the car the more likely it will come on with a stock tune.

TMO Supporting Vendors