The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Conquering the car show with a 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Correction..... Road Runner.... under the hood. Sadly, my Boss has been 'shown' up by V6 Mustangs with all kinds of body kits and such on them. Not to mention the 3 other 2012 Bosses I typically see when I was able to hit the car show rounds. That's why I needed to make mine a little different, which unfortunately I won't be able to complete until Dec.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I didnt read the part where he conquered the car show lol.

I have only taken my boss to the one car show and I had forgot its not about how clean your car is or anything like that its who has the most chrome and toys and signs around there car that matters.........

I one my first trophy with the BOSS on Saturday...

Out of a class of 148 cars (There were 3 cars total that were not older than 1985, most were older than 77).
Trophies only given out for top 20 in the field and best of Show.
NO Classes, so you competed against everyone else.

I have had my BOSS since July, have almost 700 miles on it and it received a 98 out of 100 possible score. I am trying to get a perfect 100 (with it being a DD, that is hard to do, but I am going to try).

BOSSTrophy1.jpg

BOSSTrophy2.jpg

Bay Area
ufnavy06 said:
Correction..... Road Runner.... under the hood. Sadly, my Boss has been 'shown' up by V6 Mustangs with all kinds of body kits and such on them. Not to mention the 3 other 2012 Bosses I typically see when I was able to hit the car show rounds. That's why I needed to make mine a little different, which unfortunately I won't be able to complete until Dec.

That article is correct about the Coyote engine. Little do people know but the road runner in the base 5.0 and the Coyote is the Boss engine.

Read this article and you be surprised at the work they put into it.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1108_2011_ford_mustang_302/viewall.html

GA
ufnavy06 said:

Yeah, people with plain old Mustangs who put Boss parts on them should be shot... ;)

It's says right in that article that the base 5.0 is the coyote and the BOSS engine is dubbed the RoadRunner... Unless I am reading it wrong:

GT=Coyote
BOSS=RoadRunner

BLAZN BOSS

i ahve read just about every article in the magazines on the new Boss..........I find that the magazine dubd the engine in the Boss roadrunner, but the book that comes with theboss owners package says the engineers didnt want to use roadrunner as a nick name cause of its plymouth ties.........instead they used project 747. Can someone tell me where they have read that Ford called it "roadrunner"?

BLAZN BOSS said:
i ahve read just about every article in the magazines on the new Boss..........I find that the magazine dubd the engine in the Boss roadrunner, but the book that comes with theboss owners package says the engineers didnt want to use roadrunner as a nick name cause of its plymouth ties.........instead they used project 747. Can someone tell me where they have read that Ford called it "roadrunner"?
This is my understanding as well. How about this for a license plate: 747BOSS

BLAZN BOSS said:

The engine plant commonly used 747 and Laguna to differentiate the engines during assembly. Road Runner is a less commonly used term in the plant for the whole Boss project that includes both (as far as I understand it).

Which brings me to an interesting question. There is no Laguna Seca model in Canada for 2013 but my base Canadian Boss comes with a red key. Does this mean I have the Laguna engine in my Boss?

Boss0960 said:
Which brings me to an interesting question. There is no Laguna Seca model in Canada for 2013 but my base Canadian Boss comes with a red key. Does this mean I have the Laguna engine in my Boss?
The Boss 302 and Boss 302 Laguna Seca use the same engine, there are zero differences. Both cars come with a silver and red key and the red key is used for TracKey if you have it installed.

Welcome to BMO. Do you work for Ford or one of their suppliers?

5 DOT 0 said:
Boss0960 said:
The Boss 302 and Boss 302 Laguna Seca use the same engine, there are zero differences. Both cars come with a silver and red key and the red key is used for TracKey if you have it installed.

Welcome to BMO. Do you work for Ford or one of their suppliers?

I worked at Essex Engine Plant for about a year out of my 18 years at Ford. I tried my best to stay in the cast iron and aluminum foundries but they are now gone. At Essex, I was mostly on a forklift delivering parts to the assembly line. There were a few stations that had separate stock for 747 and Laguna but not very many. Wiring Harnesses were different. I can't recall which other parts were different but very few. I changed plants almost a year ago so the details are fading. I should have committed more of these details to memory but then again, I never thought I would actually own a Boss. ;D

MLM

Mike
Boss0960 said:
There were a few stations that had separate stock for 747 and Laguna but not very many. Wiring Harnesses were different. I can't recall which other parts were different but very few.

That is very interesting. I wonder if the shop manual would show the differences.

Perhaps the harness is different because the 2012 LS came with the dashtop gauge package. Also a different oil pressure sender.

BLAZN BOSS

PeteInCT said:
Camshaft sensors, or at least the connectors to them, are different also.
I wonder why?...........same motors but since the LS has the pod I'm sure its sensors are different for those readouts.........I wonder if the cam sensors provide data for the gauge pod...........doubt it. But I guess I'm right that it was the 5.0 magazine writer that stuck the motor with roadrunner name.........not Ford.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The connectors were changed due to some cars having an issue with connectivity problems due to vibration.

BLAZN BOSS said:
PeteInCT said:
I wonder why?...........same motors but since the LS has the pod I'm sure its sensors are different for those readouts.........I wonder if the cam sensors provide data for the gauge pod...........doubt it. But I guess I'm right that it was the 5.0 magazine writer that stuck the motor with roadrunner name.........not Ford.

The Road Runner name was used in the engine assembly plant so I suspect it was an internal name choice. I doubt Ford management uses code names derived from magazine writers.

BLAZN BOSS

Boss0960 said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
PeteInCT said:

The Road Runner name was used in the engine assembly plant so I suspect it was an internal name choice. I doubt Ford management uses code names derived from magazine writers.
Thats not a true statement......Its right in Donald Farrs book the engineers didnt want to use roadrunner. the came up with 747.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I took mine to an all Ford powered car show sponsored by the Detroit area Shelby club and took 1st in the all Boss category. There were 3 2012's and mine. I would have thought if there was a 69, 70 or 71 Boss I wouldn't have won. The other 3 looked great but I edged them out I think because SBY was the new color and it stood out. So, I'm 1 for 1 in car shows. Lol

Brian

TMO Supporting Vendors