The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Considering GT350 for Daily Driver in Northeast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys think. My current daily is BRZ with blizzaks, it handles snow/ice like a champ. Would GT350 be doable with decent winter tires and some sand bags in the trunk - or too much of a handful?

cheers

The GT350 can easily be a DD. We don't have snow and ice here in CA so no input on that. I will say the traction control seems to be a lot more sophisticated than it was on the S197 cars so it might be alright with the proper tires.

Welcome to TMO.

Thanks, guys. The issue is I don't have the space for a cheap winter beater, so looking for a car that can handle it all while being tons of fun.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
You will thoroughly enjoy the car. I can see you becoming frustrated with having to lug the car around at low rpm due to weather conditions. Car is its best up top, and it seems like your weather won't be conducive to that.

If that's not a problem then get the heated/cooled seats for the cold days and enjoy. I do agree this is a dry weather car

In the V6L
blckzed06 said:
Thanks, guys. The issue is I don't have the space for a cheap winter beater, so looking for a car that can handle it all while being tons of fun.

I'm going to get flamed for saying this but if you keep the revs down, driving the GT350 is about as drama-filled as driving a Honda. There's more than enough low-end torque to get around and it's very controllable. For winter, just throw a set of narrow-ish blizzaks on it and keep going. Narrower wheels in 9" or 9.5" with 255/40x19 fronts and 265/40x19 rears give you better snow performance and are an exact match for the speedometer.

JAJ said:
I'm going to get flamed for saying this but if you keep the revs down, driving the GT350 is about as drama-filled as driving a Honda. There's more than enough low-end torque to get around and it's very controllable. For winter, just throw a set of narrow-ish blizzaks on it and keep going. Narrower wheels in 9" or 9.5" with 255/40x19 fronts and 265/40x19 rears give you better snow performance and are an exact match for the speedometer.

Thanks for the detailed response and suggestions! Are the above specs the narrowest tires that would fit? Also, would 18" wheels work, or would they not clear the brakes?

If I go with a GT350, I will definitely have a dedicated set of rims and tires for the winter - so want to go as small / narrow as possible.

I, personally, would never drive a car like the GT350 in bad weather, especially snowy/icy conditions...I don't care if I had a truckload of Blizzaks standing by. It's a race/track car not a snowplow. I don't even take my Boss out in the rain...but, hey, that's just me.

In the V6L
blckzed06 said:
Thanks for the detailed response and suggestions! Are the above specs the narrowest tires that would fit? Also, would 18" wheels work, or would they not clear the brakes?

If I go with a GT350, I will definitely have a dedicated set of rims and tires for the winter - so want to go as small / narrow as possible.

As far as I can tell, both the front brakes and the rears are too big for 18's and there are probably lots of 19" rims that won't fit either. I have a set of 9.5x19 TSW's on hand (left over from my 2011 Mustang GT) that clear the brakes, so I'm probably going to run the 255/265 combo on them for the winter.

Alternately, you can ask someone that actually knows the answer: the GT350 owner's supplement says "Please call the Ford Performance Info Center at 1-800-367-3788 for specific winter tire recommendations." Maybe give them a call and see what they say.

Thanks, man. Small world - I run TSW Nurburgring rims on my current daily... great wheels for the money.

JAJ said:
As far as I can tell, both the front brakes and the rears are too big for 18's and there are probably lots of 19" rims that won't fit either. I have a set of 9.5x19 TSW's on hand (left over from my 2011 Mustang GT) that clear the brakes, so I'm probably going to run the 255/265 combo on them for the winter.

Alternately, you can ask someone that actually knows the answer: the GT350 owner's supplement says "Please call the Ford Performance Info Center at 1-800-367-3788 for specific winter tire recommendations." Maybe give them a call and see what they say.

302BOB said:
I, personally, would never drive a car like the GT350 in bad weather, especially snowy/icy conditions...I don't care if I had a truckload of Blizzaks standing by. It's a race/track car not a snowplow. I don't even take my Boss out in the rain...but, hey, that's just me.

With the low ride height and angled front splitter, it might double as a snow plow!

Just a data point - I used to own a 2002 WRX. Great snow car, right? Wrong. If a car does not have a lot of wheel to fender clearance, some heavy, wet snows will pack up in the wheel well and when it freezes, it will shred the tires and damage the wheel wells. I actually had a situation where I had to drive through a patch of gravel during a wet snow, and the gravel not only punched a hole in the fender liner but it damaged the fender lip as well. Traction is not the only issue you need to consider. Ground clearance and clearance in the wheel wells are important.

I personally wouldn't have any Mustang-type car as a winter car, let alone a GT350, but YMMV.

As a youth I had get thru a Massachusetts winter in a late 80's GT. It was horrible and I can't imagine trying with my current 14 even with skinny tires and weight. The damage from the chemicals used around here is horrible too, my wife's 13 Taurus with 40K has a fair amount of rusty suspension bits. Find a winter ride please!

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
blckzed06 said:
The issue is I don't have the space for a cheap winter beater.

Yikes!

How about renting a winter garage for the GT350?

My wife's nephew (Long Island) puts his BMW away for 6 months every year. The pictures he sends of the winter snow is scary.

The biggest fear I have in winter is getting run into. Too many massholes running around in 2WD pickups thinking they are rally drivers. Then you have others that just panic over anything unexpected. And finally the ones with worn down all seasons.

If I could only have one car I would strongly consider a Focus RS for a do-it-all New England daily. I am betting a few more months and the prices will come down to a more realistic level.

If blckzed06 decides he really wants the GT350 he might consider relocating to a warmer climate. Hawaii would be a nice bet.... ;D if not there, the southeast or southwest would work & there's always Texas. As I get older I think about that.... just to get away from the cold & snow/sleet/ice that comes with northeast winters. My fear is I'll go someplace where it's TOO hot & I'll be miserable in a another way, AC not withstanding. For now I'll just keep my snow shovel in good repair...........

I'm not so much worried about wear / tear on the car. I've driven my BRZ for 3 straight winters - with quite a few miles and outside parking - and haven't experienced any issues at all with rust or anything else for that matter. Would assume a brand new Mustang wouldn't be any different.

My main concern is not sliding all over the road. But given the same winter tires, I was actually expecting it to handle a bit better in the snow than my BRZ given how much heavier it is. Am I missing something?

In terms of clearance, I currently have ~ 5 inches at the front lip. Do any of you guys know off-hand what that is for GT350?

Honestly, I don't think I'd go down the route of picking up a beater for the winter. I already have a heads / cam C6Z06 for track and weekends - so really just looking to spice up my daily routine. If not GT350, I'm potentially thinking a used DBA GTR. Any other cars you would consider in that range?

blckzed06 said:
In terms of clearance, I currently have ~ 5 inches at the front lip. Do any of you guys know off-hand what that is for GT350?
It's just under 5". You've been there and know the downfalls so I say go for it. The 350 is a riot to drive and you won't be disappointed. As I mentioned previously the TC programs are significantly more advanced in the S550 vs S197 cars and should help you in your goal. Good luck!

Oh and post up some photos of your track car.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?board=9.0

Good to know, thanks!

Here's a pic from Mid-Ohio a few weeks back. Not sure of the right way to post pics, so hopefully one of the photobucket links below will work.

20160427_151804_zpsdsql18nz.jpg

VoodooBOSS said:
It's just under 5". You've been there and know the downfalls so I say go for it. The 350 is a riot to drive and you won't be disappointed. As I mentioned previously the TC programs are significantly more advanced in the S550 vs S197 cars and should help you in your goal. Good luck!

Oh and post up some photos of your track car.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?board=9.0

I DD'ed the boss through two winters. With Pirelli winter tires, traction was never an issue. It's the few unexpected moments that makes driving the boss/GT350 in the winter not worth the trouble. Moments like a piece of ice flying off the roof of cars in front of you on the highway, or a chunk of ice sitting in the middle of your highway lane - where you have no room to maneuver around it and have to drive through it with the hopes of minimum damage.

After a few near misses and under carriage scrapes, I bought a beater that I use daily and drive the boss every weekend - no matter the weather!

But it seems like you're already aware of the risks and only worried about traction, which in my opinion shouldn't be a problem with a set of winter tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel