The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Consumables question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Beyond the more obvious things like brake pads, tires and fluids etc, does anyone have a maintenance schedule in terms of # of hours of track use for replacing things like hubs and other parts like that we don't really want to wait until catastrophic failure to change, but that don't necessarily give obvious signs it's time to change them, on the s550?
Thanks

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I'm definitely no expert and still learning as I go but I can list off what I know and do. This will all depend on how hard you push the car as well and how often. I do about 5-10 events a year.
Engine oil: after every race weekend
Engine filter: follow manual
Coolant: maybe once a year just because. Could go longer
Trans fluid: once a year
Diff fluid: once a year
Brake fluid: hefty bleed before every race weekend
Brake pads: when they look low
Rotors: when cracks call for changing
Wheel studs: I've read after X many hours. I might do every few years
Hubs: I believe they'll make noise or give physical feedback before they let go
Spark plugs: I'll probably change around 50k miles
Various suspension bushings: visually inspect them all frequently and change when damage appears. (also good idea to do nut & bolt inspection and use torque stripe)

Good idea to do a compression test every so often as well.

I'm sure the more experienced and educated drivers on here will add more points and correct me if I'm wrong. We're all here to learn

TX
Before full race car, I followed the schedule @Ewheels posted above for the most part. Only thing I'd suggest changing is spark plugs - I'd change a minimum of every year if you're pushing the car hard. I change mine every 20 hours now.

A fuel filter every year is probably a decent idea as well.

Also given how expensive good fluids are I suggest to do some used oil analysis not only to see how long you can go on change intervals but also to see how your internals are wearing. Very likely you can safely get more than one weekend on engine oil and good to monitor trans and diff too.

TX
Also given how expensive good fluids are I suggest to do some used oil analysis not only to see how long you can go on change intervals but also to see how your internals are wearing. Very likely you can safely get more than one weekend on engine oil and good to monitor trans and diff too.

Wholeheartedly agree on getting analysis done. There is one major benefit to changing oil frequently that many miss when advocating running it longer, IMHO - detecting an imminent failure in the engine earlier. If you run a couple events on an oil change and something started to fail on event one, you might blow it up before the end of event 2/3 because you didn't catch it fast enough. Obviously you can test the oil inbetween changes - but most don't do that. I'd argue you might as well spend the $$ to change it fully by then anyways.

I've tested every oil change I pulled out of my car in the last 3 years and I can confirm my oil can safely run 8-10 hours in my conditions no problem - but i'd never run it that long for the reason to mention above. When I tested my oil in December 2019 and they found the tiniest bit of increase in metal, I pulled it and opened it up and that's when I found my failed oil pick up tube.

As always though - YMMV

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Before full race car, I followed the schedule @Ewheels posted above for the most part. Only thing I'd suggest changing is spark plugs - I'd change a minimum of every year if you're pushing the car hard. I change mine every 20 hours now.

A fuel filter every year is probably a decent idea as well.
I thought the fuel filter was integrated into the tank and cannot be changed?

Wholeheartedly agree on getting analysis done. There is one major benefit to changing oil frequently that many miss when advocating running it longer, IMHO - detecting an imminent failure in the engine earlier. If you run a couple events on an oil change and something started to fail on event one, you might blow it up before the end of event 2/3 because you didn't catch it fast enough. Obviously you can test the oil inbetween changes - but most don't do that. I'd argue you might as well spend the $$ to change it fully by then anyways.

I've tested every oil change I pulled out of my car in the last 3 years and I can confirm my oil can safely run 8-10 hours in my conditions no problem - but i'd never run it that long for the reason to mention above. When I tested my oil in December 2019 and they found the tiniest bit of increase in metal, I pulled it and opened it up and that's when I found my failed oil pick up tube.

As always though - YMMV
Very interesting, thank you for the insight.

It is in the fuel hat (next to the pump) in the tank. It is removable. I think maybe ford just says not serviceable because of its location, not because its actually not serviceable :idontknow:

TX

Very interesting, thank you for the insight.

It is in the fuel hat (next to the pump) in the tank. It is removable. I think maybe ford just says not serviceable because of its location, not because its actually not serviceable :idontknow:

Is this specific to your GT? My GT350 has an in-line fuel filter on the driver side about mid way through the door.

TMO Supporting Vendors