The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Conti GT-I verses Hoosiers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was thinking of getting a set of 305/660-18 conti GT-I. Most of my competition is on hoosiers now. Are they somewhat compatible in performance??

Assuming they are the ones that are being run on the GT class cars, I would say they are a bit stickier than the GS style Contis that we normally run, without a durameter I could not tell you if they are stickier than the A or R6 tires, but they are better than the GS Contis. I've been wringing out a set of these on my autocross car and have had good results.

Mad Hatter said:
thanks, went ahead and got four, looking forward to running in a new class!
They are not as sticky as an R6 (A6 has even higher grip on early laps) but they are fast and will last longer than the Hoosiers. I ran 1-2 seconds faster on the R6s than the GT-Is. I liked the grip on the GTI even better than the GTO or GTR.

Don't forget the GT-I is on sale for $200 per tire new with flat rate $15 shipping regardless of quantity in the lower 48.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
I really like my DH's. That said, is the opinion here the Conti's are not quite as good, but "good enough" at a killer price like the discontinued ones? It seems like you could get 2 sets of Conti's and still be money ahead vs the DH's, but not if they aren't worth it.

I can run 305's square and I'm on my second set of DH's. I haven't run any other slicks before so I don't have a feeling to compare to otherwise.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Wingrider said:
I really like my DH's. That said, is the opinion here the Conti's are not quite as good, but "good enough" at a killer price like the discontinued ones? It seems like you could get 2 sets of Conti's and still be money ahead vs the DH's, but not if they aren't worth it.

IMHO, the Conti's are a good deal at Hoosier's price. They are long lasting, but they are less grippy than a new Hoosier (A or R, 6 or 7). I liked the GT-I better than the O or R. They were more forgiving, more consistent and seemed to last longer.

With that being said, the Pirelli DH would be my preferred tire if considering take-offs. Take-off to take-off, the Pirelli's were faster and lasted significantly longer. New Continental vs. Pirelli take-off, I'd give the nod to the Conti for the first 2 heat cycles. After that, it becomes more even with the Pirellis being faster as the cycles mount.

As for feel, the Conti's have a stiffer sidewall and take a set more quickly. The Pirellis feel like they are rolling over... they aren't. Just a different feeling (kinda like Hoosier vs. Kumho in Auto-x). This was on 18x10 wheels with 305 Contis (650) and Pirelli (645).

If I could get new Pirellis at $200/ea, I'd stock my entire basement... especially since they have sizes that will fit the GTS2 car :)

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
JScheier said:
IMHO, the Conti's are a good deal at Hoosier's price. They are long lasting, but they are less grippy than a new Hoosier (A or R, 6 or 7). I liked the GT-I better than the O or R. They were more forgiving, more consistent and seemed to last longer.

With that being said, the Pirelli DH would be my preferred tire if considering take-offs. Take-off to take-off, the Pirelli's were faster and lasted significantly longer. New Continental vs. Pirelli take-off, I'd give the nod to the Conti for the first 2 heat cycles. After that, it becomes more even with the Pirellis being faster as the cycles mount.

As for feel, the Conti's have a stiffer sidewall and take a set more quickly. The Pirellis feel like they are rolling over... they aren't. Just a different feeling (kinda like Hoosier vs. Kumho in Auto-x). This was on 18x10 wheels with 305 Contis (650) and Pirelli (645).

If I could get new Pirellis at $200/ea, I'd stock my entire basement... especially since they have sizes that will fit the GTS2 car :)

Easy to read/understand and well explained thank you.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes! Thats great info!! My frenemy in a Camaro bought the 295/680-19 R100 slicks at the Hoosier sale. Are they more or less comparable to the GT-I?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Mad Hatter said:
Yes! Thats great info!! My frenemy in a Camaro bought the 295/680-19 R100 slicks at the Hoosier sale. Are they more or less comparable to the GT-I?

The R100s are a harder compound Hoosier true racing slick. They should be about the same grip level as a GT-I and maybe just a little longer lasting. That 680 diameter is freakin huge coming in at 26.7". I hope he/she has some gearing to make up for that.

JScheier said:
The R100s are a harder compound Hoosier true racing slick. They should be about the same grip level as a GT-I and maybe just a little longer lasting. That 680 diameter is freakin huge coming in at 26.7". I hope he/she has some gearing to make up for that.

Heck yeah you do. I run 680's for a few reasons (spring rate, curb handling and top end speed to offset my aero drag). I had to go to 4.10's.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well as I said..... he is a Frenemy.... in a Camaro..... and now that we are both on slicks, we are in the same class.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Any tips for tire pressures with the GT-I? I have them at 38 front and 36 rear. I was a little disappointed that I only dropped from 54.8 to 54.3 with the Slicks vs Nitto NT555II R's. Is that more or less what you would expect?? My buddy is at 53.5 on A7"s. Or maybe he just drives better!!

TMO Supporting Vendors