The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Continental Extremecontact Sport

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Checking to see if anyone has experience with the Continental Extremecontact Sport tires. I have a
new set of wheels on the way for street duty. I'm looking for tires that are more street friendly and cheaper than the Pilot SC2's. The Continentals are quite a bit less expensive than the Pilot 4S's that I'm also considering but still have solid reviews on the TireRack. These tires would be used for street duty and possibly rainy track days. I plan to run the carbon fiber wheels with Pilot SC2's for track duty.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I haven't run them on my Mustang, but I have on other vehicles. What I can tell you is that they are a very smooth running tire that is fairly quite and handles well in the rain. They have a softer sidewall that is noticeable if you are looking for real crisp steering response. I am currently running Michelin PSS tires for the street on my Mustang. If I wasn't running those, the Continental would be my second choice.

I appreciate the input. Figure for the price I can't go wrong. The Pilot 4S would be $300
more for the set and I still need to get a new set of Pilot SC2's for the track wheels.

I have heard good things about the ECS also, including a great article by Mustang roadracer Billy Johnson on MotoIQ.
https://motoiq.com/TESTED-Continental-Tire-ExtremeContact-Sport/

Also maybe consider the new Bridgestone S007A - replaced the excellent RE11. I have the S0007As on another car (Lotus Evora 400) and they are superb - stiff sidewalls but still excellent ride, great grip down to temps in the high 30s. And they are relatively inexpensive.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You have choices in 19s with RE71rs , Hankook RS-4s, and Yokohama ADO8r, as well --- if you want one of the stickier 200 Treadwear rated rubber.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No argument , just threw out some of the other tires as there are not alot of decently wide options ( imho) for the GT 350. No argument on the Contis, just giving a few more choices , nothing more.

I read the article that Champale linked. Thanks! Plus another one by Billy Johnson on “How to properly size and select tires for performance.” After that and the input here I narrowed my choice to the Continental ECS in 305/30/19 , 325/30/19 and the Pilot 4S in 295/30/19 , 305/30/19 sizes. Both of these set ups very closely matched the Pilot SC2 on the stock wheel sizes. I ended up ordering the Continental’s at a much better price. Thank you all.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cool, glad to see you went wide, as it seems too many owners end up going to a skinny tire due to cost constraints and lack of choice. Enjoy and post some pics when you get the Voodoo on track ?

I run the Conti Extreme Contact Sports on my C5 Z06. They're good street tires and pretty decent on the track. They feel grippier than their 340 tread wear rating but not quite as grippy as a true 200 tread wear tire. I recommend these tires for the street but I'd look elsewhere (such as the Falken Azenis RT615K+) for better performing 200 TW street-legal track tire.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Bingo, Backmarker, you beat me to it, as the Falkens are making fast strides and the National Retail Sales Mgr. is a friend of mine and he is a track rat. Mainly does Autocross, due to time constraints, but he is definitely in with both feet to make the Falkens a bigger player. They aren't quire as sticky as the RE71rs or the BFG Rival S 1.5, but they normally outpace the S-4s. The big plus is on road course they don't get greasy near as soon as the BFGs or BStones, so longer life and consistent for a 20-25 minute run.

Glad to see you're using the carbon wheels at the track as God intended.
Honestly I would have liked to have kept the carbon fiber wheels on all the time. Unfortunately a rock or something got stuck between the caliper and the front wheel and gouged some grooves through the ceramic coating on the inner barrel. With that happening and the price of the front wheels going up to over $4000 a piece I decided to get some other wheels for the street.

I had the Continental Extreme Contact Sports mounted on the new wheels today and hope to get them on the car soon if weather permits. Once I get some time on them I will let you all know what I think of them. I run the Falken Azenis RT615K+ on my Fiesta ST daily driver and like them quite a bit.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I had the Continental Extreme Contact Sports mounted on the new wheels today and hope to get them on the car soon if weather permits. Once I get some time on them I will let you all know what I think of them. I run the Falken Azenis RT615K+ on my Fiesta ST daily driver and like them quite a bit.

How many miles have you gotten out of the Falkens in day to day use on the Fiesta? Looking for new tires on my FiST this spring and those are on the short list.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Falkens seem to be a strong new choice with their commitment to SCCA as a Spec Class, but they have also gone after the CAM Autocross group with some meaty rubber in 18s, though not as many choices in the 19 inch sizes. They seem to be stickier than an RS-4 , though not the glue monsters of the RE71r or the Rival S BFGs. Key thing for many of us here, is they are a longer lasting track tire and reports are they are less prone to loss of adhesion from heat soak on hot days. Some may remember the Falken tired GT3 that ran in IMSA and did surprisingly well just a few years back. Have some Autocross friends who are pleased with the wear on the street , but admit they are not at the grip level of the Bridgestones. Seems like a good choice for a circular rubber air filled device used for street and circuit use?

TMO Supporting Vendors