The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Continental Tires on Sale at Hoosiertire.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like Hoosier let loose on their excess inventory from Daytona.
Look here:
http://www.hoosiertire.com/index.htm
and then select Discontinued tires in the left column.

There are two choices in the 285/645R18 size.
According to Jeff Speer, the Hoosier Sports Car Product Manager:
"The G5000 construction is typically used at High Banked Speedway Road Courses(stronger sidewall) while the G6000 is use for Flat Road Courses.

The G5000 tire can also be run on Flat Road Courses as well, and has the new R7 tread compound, so I would recommend ordering the G5000 tire.

The G6000 tire actually has our (S80) tread compound which is durable, but tends to heat up much, much slower than the G5000(R7) tread compound.

Both the G5000 and G6000 tires will provide excellent Tread Wear, however I feel the G5000 compound(R7) will provide more initial grip sooner(heat up quicker) and more consistent lap times(less drop off over several sessions) as compared to the G6000 tread compound."

Looks like they have good inventory of each and affordable at $150 each.
Get them while they are hot!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks for posting that tread explanation! 8)

I was just looking at the list yesterday, and was wondering why there weren't any GT-O or GT-I available in usable sizes.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
:'( So sad they do not have a wider taller tire! 305/660-18 would be great. Must admit, I thought the Conti GT-I was a bit of a rim saver (in my case ::)

Mad Hatter said:
:'( So sad they do not have a wider taller tire! 305/660-18 would be great. Must admit, I thought the Conti GT-I was a bit of a rim saver (in my case ::)

They have a ton of those size tires as long as you are looking for wet. At $100 each, I even considered running them dry!

Looks like they just released a bunch of tires in several sizes for people running 18 in wheels. G5000 for$150, G6000 run about twice as much this year.

Thanks for the reminder. Just got me some 305/660R18.

Here's some specs for any interested.
http://www.continentalrace.com/images/2018/2018-CTSCC-Tire-Application-Guide.pdf
http://www.continentalrace.com/images/2018/2018-IMSA-TECHNICAL-DATA-CONTI-CHALLENGE.PDF
http://www.continentalrace.com/images/2018/2018-IMSA-technical-data-weathertech-2.pdf

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This is a really, really great deal, especially for those doing HPDEs, but remember the 5000s are built for the High Banks of Daytona and this is an Endurance Class slick. So these tires will be plenty fast for the majority of folks , but if you are running Time Trials or Sprint Track Events, this tire will not heat up and be as quick as the Pirelli Slicks or even a new set of R7s. Just a bit of info , as super hard to pass up this pricing, but know going in, that the tire was not designed to be really fast on heat up , but to last , and for the many folks on this site, a more durable, longer lasting , endurance tire is perfect for the weekend track events and HPDEs. Or you could spend 1400 for a set of street tires and be really slow -- your decision ,ha,ha.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It appears the section width is greater , and have been told by Jeff Speer in the past that the best set up is likely the 305/660/18. There may be a few more sizes pop up next week , but likely this is your best bet , anyway. I ran the 660s in the past and they were a good fit. Hope this is helpful?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Jeff told me they may have a few more to post next week, but not sure that 275 or 285 are on their radar. Note that the 305 works great if you have a 10.5 inch rim and if you go to Toyo Tires , enter Competition, then pull up the Specs ( full specs is the key) , you will notice they state a 10 inch rim is fine for the 305. Hope this helps.

Bill,
I have a Sn-95 race car with a Sla front end that limits me to a 275 or possibly a 285 size tire(Im running 275 square at this time). I saw a Ebay ad for some used Pirelli slicks in that size, but they wanted to much for those tires. The seller had also marked up shipping price a lot . At some point i might cut the fenders and run 305 tires square, but I'm not at that point yet. Thanks for looking out for any deal on small tires though.:D

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Go to usedracingtires.com and leave a message for John Paul. You can get used Pirelli slicks from him , cheap, and they are faster than a Hoosier R7. Sure they are used, but if you trash one you have not spent a lot . I usually would order a couple extra just to have on hand if I decided it was a weekend I might drive over my head, ha,ha.

I spoke with Adam at Hoosier twice in the past two days concerning exact tire sizing and compounds. They updated the site this afternoon with more detail on the sizing. These tires run wide compared to the previous GT-O and GT-I 305 width tires. Most of the G5000, G5500, and G6000 305 tires are actually wider than a 315 R7 tread width and tire section width (i.e. overall width)

The G5000 is a hard compound with a strengthened carcass. It is specifically designed for Daytona. It is a second or two slower than an R7 due to the construction, but does have a similar compound to the R7. It is a pure endurance tire an will last like one.

The G5500 and G6000 are similar to the Hoosier S100 compound. They are a second or two faster than a R7. They will fall of faster, but will still be as good as an R7 toward the end of each tires life.

Hope this helps. Again, check the sizing. Most of the 305s listed are about 12.7" in section width. My last set of Continental 305s were 11.66" in section width.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel