The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Continental Tires on Sale at Hoosiertire.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US
Well thanks for the info. I have pzeros on right now and they are getting heat cycled out i think after hitting Go german Raceway the past 2 days. I was gonna put the new 5000s on before my next event.....trying to decide weather to run em or what. Did you try diffetent air pressures? What did you find for starting and hot pressures ? I run the pzero tires at 29 0r 30 hot. They wear even and temps are pretty even overall across the tread. Bit hotter on inside or out depending on track direction. We run clockwise day 1 and ccw day 2 at this past event. Im happy with my 2.5 degree camber up front. Wear is dead even across.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Well thanks for the info. I have pzeros on right now and they are getting heat cycled out i think after hitting Go german Raceway the past 2 days. I was gonna put the new 5000s on before my next event.....trying to decide weather to run em or what. Did you try diffetent air pressures? What did you find for starting and hot pressures ? I run the pzero tires at 29 0r 30 hot. They wear even and temps are pretty even overall across the tread. Bit hotter on inside or out depending on track direction. We run clockwise day 1 and ccw day 2 at this past event. Im happy with my 2.5 degree camber up front. Wear is dead even across.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
My tracks over here required much more. 3.3 up front and 3 out back.

When it was lower my pirellis were cording on the outside.

I did, I tried 30 hot up to 33-34hot.

No change.

Temps were within 15F of eachother on my pyrometer

Ran at Gingerman yesterday, for the first time on 18" wheels on the GT350R, looking for comparison data to a week earlier. A week ago I ran a 1:38.1 on R7's in 19". Best time yesterday on 18" R7's was a 1:40.0, but it was humid and the track was green, whereas a week ago it was pretty well rubbered in. Looking at the AIM data, I was hitting max rpm a little later on the straights in spite of shorter tires. Also Losses were even between the straights and corners, so I think it's fair to assume that it was a combination of power and traction that accounted for the 1.9s variance.

Now the surprise -- switched to Conti G5500 305/685R18 Rear and G6000 305/650R18 Fronts for the afternoon (same ambient but the track should have bee grippier). Lap times were down 1.7s, pulling lower lateral G's. Rear end was loose, front was tight, never a hint of understeer, which was a surprise as a) the rear 5500 is supposed to be stickier than the front 6000, and b) the higher rear sidewall should provide more rear compliance. These (longer) tires saved a gear change (up/down) on the front straight worth 0.25s (AIM data) so the net loss was 2s.

Any other data points on Conti G5500/6000 versus R7's?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Not a direct comparison, but one of our cars has found the P2000 320/650-18 Contis are at LEAST, two seconds slower then a set of R7 315/30-18. I found them a least 1 second slower on my car compared to 295/30-18 R7s.. Great price but not for competative racing. Great training tire.......?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel