The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Converted Porsche owner to Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Folks,

My friend owns a 2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Cab. It has 385 HP with a 0 to 60 is around 4.8. Cost range 114K. It is a fun, quick car. This week, we took my Boss to lunch and he was blown away. He just couldn't believe how fast it was and how well it drove. He keep asking how his Porsche at 114K couldn't beat a 45K car.

The next day he tells me he has begun searching to buy a Boss and sell his Porsche. Also, he saw nothing wrong with the Boss's interior even though the Porsche is covered in leather. My opinion is if there were enough Boss Mustangs, then Porsche would suffer in sales. ;D

Your friend may be different, but Porsche appeals to a majority of people who believe it's a status symbol more that getting your money's worth. Same applies to BMW, Mercedes, Audi. In my opinion, it's a niche that's developed over time largely due to the Big Three in America putting out a lot of crap in the past.

Yes, the status symbol is important to a section of Porsche and BMW owners. I have found a few of them bought their cars for performance and quality. These particular buyers are not happy with less expensive cars beating their more expensive cars. In fact, I have seen 2 friends of mine go for Nissan GTRs because they refused to be beat by them. The status of not being beat is more important than the the tag on their car.

In some cases, speed ego trumps image ego.

STIG302 said:
Your friend may be different, but Porsche appeals to a majority of people who believe it's a status symbol more that getting your money's worth. Same applies to BMW, Mercedes, Audi. In my opinion, it's a niche that's developed over time largely due to the Big Three in America putting out a lot of crap in the past.
Not everyone. I've owned a couple of Porsche 911's and besides driving the wheels off the cars the thing that always appealed to me was the racing heritage of Porsche. They've raced everything they've built from day one. Not many car manufacturers can say that. Sure it's a status symbol but it's a well deserved one, much more so than BMW IMO. I've stated this a bunch of times that I look at my Boss as an every man's GT3. Very similar performance and driving experience at a fraction of the cost. Sure the Mustang has a low rent interior and the gauges suck but it's a great driving experience and that's what it's all about for me. Besides I've always wanted to own a Mustang. BTW have you ever owned a Porsche?

As I've stated before:
911 C2 = Mustang GT BBP
911 GT3 = Boss 302
911 GT3 RS = Boss 302 LS

BlueBoss said:
He keep asking how his Porsche at 114K couldn't beat a 45K car.
I hope there are several owners asking the same question next weekend at BIR when I'm at the PCA track event. ;D Of course at some point I might not be welcome any more :p

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
My dad is an M3 owner and he was considering the Boss for a time but he decided to replace my mom's car and his van with a truck instead. He bought the M3 (used) over a new 335 because he wanted the M3 badge. The difference between our Bosses and BMWs and Porsches is the refinement of the car and the materials used. There's a lot of engineering in the Boss but there is A LOT more in the specialized Porsches and BMWs, etc. Before I get flamed, the base 911s start off in a 'higher' class with engineering and materials geared to a particular clientele due to their higher price point and then they get further engineered.

I was thinking about a base Cayman about a year ago to replace my Mustang and I drove one and it was extremely fun but it lacked the brute force the Mustang has. It's a much more subtle approach to speed and driving pleasure. A sledge hammer to a surgeon's scalpel if you will.

I have nothing bad to say about the BMW, I drive one and I didn't get it as some kind status symbol, that almost kept me from getting one . This car handles the Pennsylvania back roads with poise even if the driver dos''n't ( ahem ). It's really difficult to make mistakes at speed and if you do the electronic nanny is there to save the day and trust me I've tested it on more then one occasion.Ive also ran it with out the nanny, which make for an exciting and fun ride but it can't compare to the Boss. What it does lack is the back to basics umpf and the flying by the seat of your pants the Boss has. Rude and crude. If you can drive the Boss on the edge the way it's supposed to be driven, with out wrecking it, then you can drive the BMW with your feet the same way. I don't know if I'll catch flak for that statement but I know my Bimmer can make a bad driver look good and a good driver look great. I think the all wheel drive might help a little bit too and it definitely is not a slouch. I won't get rid of it, it's great for winter, and the Boss is for summer. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel