The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

convertible car seats for infants/toddlers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any moms/dads out there using a convertible car seat in their boss?

I recently installed a recaro proride in my back seat, which I originally bought months ago thinking I would use it for front facing duties when my daughter was old enough. Now she's getting to be too big for the infant car seat (but not old enough for front facing) so I had to install the recaro rear facing. It's a monster. It easily blocks half of my rear view while driving, and even getting it to fit was a challenge.

Anyone have a recommendation on a smaller, more compact convertible car seat that fits well in the back? Preferably one with enough headroom to accommodate a little baby helmet for track sessions. (Obviously joking. Maybe. Probably. Haha).

Thanks!

Grant 302 said:
I don't have the answer, but I consider that the don't ride in a Mustang phase until they can fit forward facing.

That is what I have decided. The rear facing would require me to push the seat so far yup I couldn't be comfy. Or even safe. Whatever seats are out in two years I just have to find one that isn't huge and does not have features or corners that will leave impressions in the seat or damage them. I have an 18mo and 5mo at home. Both have their own 12V mustangs when they are big enough:)

Are there any other convertible car seats that would fit?
I wouldn't have imagined that getting a car seat will take up weeks of my time. There are so many to choose from with all different specs. For weeks now I'm on the hunt. The amazon reviews are so polarizing some say that the car seat is not good and dangerous while other say it's the safest thing ever. Then I tried looking for blog reviews. Those are pure pitch fests and never mention any drawbacks. As my last attempt i was looking for best articles. Finally I've came across a blog that seems to actually try and test car seats. I've read this best convertible seats which one of those seats would you recommend? Any pointer is welcomed.

many fire departments have programs where they will literally give you and install a car seat at no cost. these are done by grant money so it's hit and miss, that being said probably Simpson is one of the best seats out there. I have been to a wreck, where a kid seat was poorly installed and it ejected, with the kid, out of the vehicle, because the mom took the time to fasten the kid to the seat correctly, the kid was untouched by the wreck, no issues whatsoever, it was a Simpson car seat.

great article on them..

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I’ve used and like the Britax products including one that’s listed at the top in the article you linked. I highly recommend one that uses the LATCH system tethers. They’ll be in the back seats between the seat backs and seat bottom cushions.

Not sure how the rear seat room in an s197 compares to s550 though I use a Chicco nextfit rear facing in my s550. It’s a bit of a bear to get my youngest in there but better than not driving my mustang on the weekdays. Not sure how big it is compared to your recaro but might be worth checking out. Target usually has them in stock so you could go check one out in person perhaps. Good luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel