The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cool Tech - Front & Rear Tow Hook Kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just placed my order.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Tow_Special.shtml

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
LS110 said:
And I just ordered a set as well. The current offer through the end of this month includes both the front and rear hooks.

Understood. Was willing to pay full price for the added rear set so I didn't have to pay shipping again later.

I just received this update from Kendall at CoolTech on the ship dates:

"We are scheduled to pick up the plates from powdercoating on Wednesday. All mounting hardware is here and bagged. As long as no glitches from powder coat, we will ship orders on Wednesday."

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
5 DOT 0 said:
I started a How To install thread at the link below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-how-to/cool-tech-tow-hook-installtion-tips/new/#new

Great idea, Rick. You're really good at looking out for the community. I'll make sure to take some pics for the thread.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Just got the rear installed today. The instructions that 5 DOT 0 put up to remove the bumper was helpful if you never did it before. As for the kit, no major problems really. Some things to note:

1) The alignment tool supplied (threaded rod with a needle point end to it) did not have the needle point exactly centered. I'd say it was 1/16 of an inch off, maybe a little more. In my installation it made no difference but I'd check it just to make sure it's fairly centered.

2) Instead of using a Uni-bit (a.k.a speed bit) as recommended in the instructions I used a 1" hole saw, drilling perpendicular to the bumper from the rear. It make a nice clean hole but the hole saw (Milwaukee http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202327744/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=1%22+hole+saw&storeId=10051#.UIMZxoV5k9k) actually made the hole about 1 1/16" wide so the supplied plugs are a little loose when installed. It ends up the teeth on the hole saw have every other one canted outwards, so the barrel of the saw is 1" but the teeth extend a littler past that. When I install the front tow hook I am going to first tap those canted teeth in a bit before drilling the hole.

Tow_Hook_rear_1.png

Tow_hook_Rear_2.png

Sesshomurai

Thanks for the tips. I plan on doing this installation during the off-season. However, as cool as these hooks are, its one mod I hope I never have to use!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
My front hook is going on tomorrow, got the fascia off already for hood pins/oil cooler install. Thanks to all who posted tips already!

I'm doing the hole-saw method as well.

At boss302forum on 10/17/12, KeavDog at boss302forum.com pointed out a slight difference between the 2012 and 2013 Boss front bumpers. So is the 2013 tow hook kit finalized at this point?

Also, is there still time to get in on the early-bird pricing?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Everything worked great, except for locating the penetrating hole, had the ice pick too far out (too tough to screw in any farther) and it was about .25" off. Looks like I'll be extending the hole a bit. No big deal.

TMO Supporting Vendors