The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coolant leak when dropping K member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

While I was doing my header swap with the K member out, I tilted the motor down past level just for a few seconds and immediately had coolant dripping out the top of the motor somewhere which I discovered when it started pooling on my mat. I jacked the motor back up and it stopped. I tried to locate the source but couldn't find it. Where would that have come from and does that mean I have a problem?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The system should be self-contained, so yes, you have a problem. Did you tilt the motor down towards the front or rear of the car?
You probably have a leak at one of the hoses or maybe an issue with the degas bottle (might have crushed/cracked it if tilting the motor forward?

Gravity is your friend here--start at the bottom of the engine and trace any leak back UP. Look for spots of collected dirt on the bottoms of hoses that could indicate a leak path.

Tilted down at the front. Car has been up on a lift with no power since early December. Wasn't leaking when I drove it into the garage and not one drop until I tilted it down. Strange. I will have to reproduce the tilt and see where it is coming from. Dang!

TMO Supporting Vendors