The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coolant Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Until you or someone else has a hose burst, overheat and purge coolant on the track, or there is an accident that puts coolant all over the track. When you put your car into a wall because of one of these, you might reconsider. If your lower radiator hose bursts or gets damaged, it will spray coolant onto your front left.....
Very good point

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
I had forgotten that Water Wetter does offer a small amount of corrosion protection. For a track only car in zones were freezing in the winter is a consideration draining might be the only choice for storage. For a short period with low temps the corrosion issue is less of a concern. Short of using coolant and going through multiple flushes to get the coolant out I don't see another option. It would be easy to calculate how much coolant to put in the system for any anticipated low temps, but then you are back to a system with coolant in it.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Hey Guys thanks for all the respo didn’t expect to get this many coments! And no I don’t have to worry bout freezing we’re I’m at fortunately. And yeah the track says no glycol coolant because it’s a pain to clean up and is hazardous to other drivers if it’s on the track.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
No, it's like one bottle of Water Wetter for the whole system. It tells you on the bottle how to mix it. I use a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons of distilled water and a bottle of Water Wetter. Then I use my vacuum bleeder to fill the system.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Just curious, what track doesn't allow antifreeze/glycol coolants? I know the reason behind it but for track days seems a bit overtop Imo
I run at Heartland Park with 3 different organizations and only one of them doesn't allow glycol coolant. It's more about who's running the event rather than the track itself.

TMO Supporting Vendors